Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made some homemade crash bars out of 1/2" pipe and put together some side case mounts with 3/4" square tubing and some 3/4" flat strap. I just wanted to get some opinions. It took me roughly 12-14 hours for both. I took advantage of the mounting points on my highway pegs. This made it a little bit easier, but the bends were a bit of a challenge. I have a couple more pictures I may post later.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm pretty proud of my handy work. So far I have about $30 in materials. I'm just trying to see what kind of cases to mount to these to keep it a budget build. I ordered some 40mm ammo cans, but they were just too heavy. I'm trying to sell the ammo cases for what I paid for them which was $40. I'm thinking about a few other options for nice budget hard cases. Any ideas.....

·
Registered
663 Posts
WOW…. That was really nice work…. Boy some of your guys are really amazing..
I have poked around a lot at other bike sites,, Harley Ulysses, (my Brother has one) BMW, KTM, and on all of those bike people just buy stuff and they never invent their own… This here is good stuff

·
Registered
663 Posts
AAAwwwShucks .. Thanks Rain man Rich……That really means a lot to me…:35a:

But you should really Check out FEO350’s crash bars, They are sweet

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Damn nice work! Hell, I think they're actually more aesthetically pleasing than my HT crash bars and most likely offer more protection. I'm impressed. You should be proud of both the crash bars and the rack system you made for the back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I appreciate it. It was definitely worth the time and effort. This is my 3rd KLR and I decided to go crazy and rig it up just the way I wanted it, of course on a budget. I think I'm ready for a good ride.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Way to Go FEO350! The crash bars have some nice clean lines to them and suit the bike well. Perhaps you could find some Pelican type cases to use as panniers for a reasonable price. That way they'd match your trunk nicely. Well done!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I was thinking about finding a couple of used 1450s or 1500s to use as panniers. That would keep the uniform look.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I had access to a hydraulic pipe bender.
I have access to a hydraulic pipe bender.

Doesn't mean I'm good at it. :D

Also, what did you do to the seat there? I see it still has the original cover on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My friend, who I bought it from, restuffs the seat to make it wider and a little bit lower and more comfortable. This is the second KLR I've bought from him and this seat really makes a difference. I've had two with this type of restuffed seat and one with a Travelcade kit. That one was really comfortable as well.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Hi Friends,

Many many thanks to sharing your home made crash bars out of 1/2" pipe for KLR information, Really looks very nice.

:desismiley1:
Sara Chang

·
Registered
15 Posts
nice job on the bars , I'm interested in the windshield extension. I bought a cee baileys tall windshield and now am experiencing real bad wind buffetting , almost unbearable at speeds over 50. Do you have that issue and did you modify the windshield??? thanks bgdog67

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The gentleman I bought the bike from just cut the top of an extra windshield he had and bolted it to the top of a standard tall windshield. I am 5'9" and this little extension puts the wind just at the top of my helmet. It was inexpensive and works great. I'm all about function. Cosmetics don't matter too much to me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts