Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Homemade Windshield for KLR 650 2006

8K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  pokyIDAHO6ft4 
#1 ·
I recently made a windshield for $10 plus the cost of a heat gun.
I went to Home Depot and got some non yellowing, safety
Glass panel for $10 plus tax. Same thickness as the oem
windshield, my new windshield is now 10" in height with the added curve
to the top of the windshield (about an inch of the top heated and
moved forward towards the front tire, like it is on the oem) with a little
modification i made it 10" tall by 12 1/2" wide. We will see how it rides soon
and give an update.

#2 ·
I've been considering using a heat gun to heat the Kawasaki Tall windscreen that I've got on Chaos to give it a little bit of a curve upward / forward where it flares out to the sides. My hope is that it will raise up the airflow just a little bit more from over my head.

#4 ·
Pics? You need 15 posts I think. I gotta see this. :)

#8 ·
It's for spammers. Just post ten quick posts. They're free electrons. ;)

#11 ·
Looks pretty good. What was the temp on the heat gun?

#13 ·
Okay now I want to do this. I have a heat gun and am sick of the buffeting. How did you get its shape? Do you press against the stock windshield?

-Stefer

#14 ·
Tools that you will need
1. Drill
2. Dremel- with cutting discs (if you have one)
3. If you don't have a dremel you will need a very very sharp exacto knife.
4. drill bit the thickness of a pencil
5. Marker
6. 2 safety glass panels (in case you break one)
7. Protractor (if you have one)
What I did was I got the shape i wanted for the final finished product by outlining in marker.
Then took my dremel and cut the shape out. (the width should be 12 1/2" if you want it to be flush when mounted and whatever height im 6'4" i choose 10" tall))
Then i took the cut out and placed it over the oem windshield, centered the panel, marked then drilled the holes.
After you have the holes drilled you can put one bolt in on panel and oem windshield then use your heat gun to shape it over the oem windshield. (careful you don't leave the heat in one place for too long, it shapes quickly)
Its trial and error after this point. Get it to the right shape you might just have to go back to heat it up again do get it semi perfect to perfection shape.
After you have the panel to specified shape (make sure it is very simular to avoid breaking)
Now you have your windshield cut out and shaped and the top of it rounded (unless you like it square)
Mount said panel to your bike... Does it fit good?
If not you need to shape it again. If you are satisfied, mount it up. You can use the stock nut and bolt but if you dont want to get another bolt and nut with a rubber washer and a metal washer.(whatever you perfer) put a weather strip if you want just out of the way of the bolt holes, because there will be a slight gap.
Now if it is all mounted up you can now shape the extra wind deflecting on the very top.
Just heat up the very top about an inch and fold and inch toward the front so the piece you are folding should be 90° straight up or more if you want to be bold.
Take it for a ride see how it works for you. If it just seems you didn't get anywhere what i did was I heated up the front of the windshield when mounted, and on the place where the windshield meets the fairing heated just above the fairing all the way across so i had even heat
All the way across width wise and started to pull towards the front tire. Once i got to desired height I stopped then took it for a ride.
Thats all I did. Hope that helps.

#15 ·
Perfect thank you!

#18 ·
Part of the brilliance of this is that it is so simple. Anyone can do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.