Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
While this has zero to do with hot or cold oil it is something to consider. Everyone knows the crankcase threads for the drain are fragile and if not careful you can ruin them or worse yet crack the case. I personally change oil when the engine is hot and not just because recently circulating oil tends to carry settled particulates including microscopic abrasive carbon that even the best filters do not catch (one reason oil gets dark), but because aluminum expands at a greater rate than steel and a hot crankcase is gripping the steel plug with less force making removal less stressful on the threads. Yes, I overthink most things.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
While this has zero to do with hot or cold oil it is something to consider. Everyone knows the crankcase threads for the drain are fragile and if not careful you can ruin them or worse yet crack the case. I personally change oil when the engine is hot and not just because recently circulating oil tends to carry settled particulates including microscopic abrasive carbon that even the best filters do not catch (one reason oil gets dark), but because aluminum expands at a greater rate than steel and a hot crankcase is gripping the steel plug with less force making removal less stressful on the threads. Yes, I overthink most things.
And the converse is a subject to consider. When the "Aluminum" crankcase is hot the aluminum can become softer leaving it vulnerable to damage while tightening the drain plug? Hey, it's just a thought?

·
Registered
320 Posts
And the converse is a subject to consider. When the "Aluminum" crankcase is hot the aluminum can become softer leaving it vulnerable to damage while tightening the drain plug? Hey, it's just a thought?
There's absolutely NO WAY the temps the KLR runs in would soften even the cheapest of aluminum alloys. Even at operating temperature, they run cool by comparison to other engines.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
There's absolutely NO WAY the temps the KLR runs in would soften even the cheapest of aluminum alloys. Even at operating temperature, they run cool by comparison to other engines.
Cool, I'm certain you know what you're talking about.

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
Oh no.......

What the heck; IMO the oil brand matters little and as long as it meets the spec and is changed regularly, it's all pretty much the same. a good read: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Aug-17-ENG.pdf

I think people get all worked up against "car vs. motorcycle oil" whereas I'd say that an oil that meets the spec (JASO MA2, for eg.) IS, in fact, "motorcycle oil" as far as the bike is concerned.

Dave

21 - 26 of 26 Posts