Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
may as well talk about it here too. i'm on the fence as to the changes they've made. i did call the uly,the "useless" at one time and now own one. so what do i know?

·
Registered
595 Posts
The fairing is only superficial. The frame is the same, with minor engine tweaks and stiffer suspension should make it an all around better bike. Hopefully it won't get bashed in the upcoming magazine reviews. Remember, we want these to sell like hot cakes. The more KLR's on the road the more likely they'll be around for many more years. More parts and more aftermarket availability is a great thing!

·
Registered
153 Posts
not sure either larryboy. at first I didnt like the look, but the longer I look at it...... I am starting to like.

I like the wind protection on the legs. I like the fact I dont have to make a dash board for all the switches. plenty of space. the cluster looks cool too.

one thing. did they change the dooooooo :shock:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I really like them. If I was in the market for a new one I'd hold off till it came out. I'm not a hardcor off roder though. I like that parallel twin "Versey" that they have in the EU. No off roder but a nice lookin bike. Don't know if it's coming here or not.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If (big honkin' if) I ever happen to be in the market again, I don't think I'll hesitate on an '08. The look has already grown on me and the changes of any significance appear to be improvements. Naturally this is all pending some real-world testing but the changes look good to me on the 'puter screen. Make mine a green/silver/black one, please.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I have already started making the payments on one. Now by the time they come out I'll have it almost paid for.
The ONLY problem I have now is where do I find the $$ to build a bigger garage?????? :lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like it, but with my 04 paid for and with a lifetime license plate, I won't be upgrading to it anytime soon...Doug

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Since I am more of a Roady the changes are good. An 18" front wheel option would have been nice. They still put the Turn Signal / Neutral / High Beam lights below the newly designed guages. How stupid can they be.

If I was buying a new motorcycle I probably would not buy the KLR650 because of the changes and increase in price though I would by the V-Strom 650. For the road it has better wheels and tires, $60 away from an adjustable windshield, less vibration, quieter with more power, 6speed, better for 2up, low front fender, better electrical, and still can manage some Adventure off-roading. I would not take it off-roading with the Boys in Auburn.

Big question. What is the military going to do with the new body panels. Can't see them using a heavier bike with more to break. If the fairing is removed what do they install to replace it? They might be better off by holding the some of the body parts they are currently selling and and installing them on the 2008 models.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The military does not use a faring. More of a headlight guard. So, yeah... we'll probably see some '08 fairings for sale from HDT on e-bay. Kawasaki ships them engineless rolling chasis/frames. So, I'm thinking the lack of travel in the suspension might become an issue... but we'll see on that one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think it's silly, fake, contrived, that's not a KLR, I would have liked to see them take a more offroad worthy direction, or at least address ther issues that need addressing (doo, make 5th gear taller and 1st lower, proper headlight wiring, more protected turn signals) and leave the rest alone. That huge fairing is silly, and LESS suspension? I want more travel not less. It's less industrial now and has more of that "hey, look at me!" attitude. Looks like lots of stuff to break. I'm not saying that the rest of the KLR's aren't ugly, in fact they're horrendously ugly, and that's what i like about it, no pretenses of being a shiny pretty bike.

I've never seen the KLR as a road bike, but more of a two wheeled ATV that you can ride on the road to get to the dirt. Now it looks boring, uninspired, and trying to fit in with the pods. It's soul is gone. :(

You won't catch me riding one, although i'll swap out the high output stator if it fits and works well. I wonder if the new head fits on the old jug? More power would be nice.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I have not seen a price on it yet. If it jumps much (if any) it won't sell.

I have a wee-Strom and the ONLY thing making it a D/S is the frame. I know some people take them off road, but I took a 305 dream off road when I was 16, only because that was all I had.

The KLR is the street bike of D/S bikes, (honda, suzuki, kawasaki) so to make it a little more steety is opening the market for more comuters, and guys like me that want a "on/off" motorcycle but will ride 90% on, and it is not loosing much, (if any) off road advantages. It will still fall in last as a dirt bike.

I just think 20 years of the same bike is long enough and it needed to be up-graded.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I cant help thinking that they still have a new model up their sleeve. Might be the new fairing is being tested for an upcoming model ie V-Strom ( 1000 ) competition. They will sell every KLR they can make and will get plenty of feedback on wind buffeting problems ( if any ) that the Strom is known for. I think a " Big Brother " is in the works. Too large of a market now to ignore.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'll look into one in 09 or so. I really like it for the pavement pounders like me.

By them my KLR will have 40-50K on it. Be cheaper for me to just buy and 07 or older with no miles and transfer all my farkles over though and have a "new" bike on the cheap and still have my current 05 as a "beater"

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I would love to see a 800cc twin, inverted forks, better lighting, easily bagable, adjustable windshield, easily accessible electrical accessory board with 8 outlets, dual disc front brakes, etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
tomatocity said:
I would love to see a 800cc twin, inverted forks, better lighting, easily bagable, adjustable windshield, easily accessible electrical accessory board with 8 outlets, dual disc front brakes, etc.
There goes your affordable dual sport :lol:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i could see buying one at some point. they say seat height is the same. so it should be more comfortable with a better seat to foot peg distance.

i would probably go with an IMS tank,ditch all of the new front end plastics,keep the gauges and make my own headlight set-up,raising links and some spacers for the forks could make it work? i'd put an 18" front on it of course.

i've read of a $400 price increase over the '07. i bet i could pick up a used '08 with trashed plastics pretty easily after a few have been thrown down. :twisted:

·
Registered
11 Posts
For a first foray into KLRdom, sure. As a replacement for my '05, nope. That would have required the upgrades they did getting to the KLX 250S: 6 speed tranny, cartridge forks, geared counter balancing. The little KLX got those and still remained completely affordable. I don't know why they didn't follow suit for the sixfiddy update. :(

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I was talking to a friend about the 08. I think we both agreed that the current setup is 50/50 on/off road where the 08 looks like they're trying for a 75/25 on/off bike. I can only hope that they might make a more dirt capable version of the 650 with the six speed and better suspension. But for now the 06 KLR fits fine and is going strong. So no need to look for a replacement yet. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buildit said:
I was talking to a friend about the 08. I think we both agreed that the current setup is 50/50 on/off road where the 08 looks like they're trying for a 75/25 on/off bike. I can only hope that they might make a more dirt capable version of the 650 with the six speed and better suspension. But for now the 06 KLR fits fine and is going strong. So no need to look for a replacement yet. :)
KLX250 used the offroad 250cc dirt bikes as its technology base, thus can share parts and development costs with them. That is why it has the 6 speed transmission and other goodies. Kawasaki has no other 650cc single in its stable, thus re-engineering the transmission to have six speeds would have cost a lot of money and raised the price too much. Same deal with the suspension. They stole the slightly shorter but sturdier forks off the KLE rather than develop new forks because it would have cost too much money to develop new forks for just the KLR, and they had no other bike in their stable with forks sturdy enough to handle the KLR's weight yet with sufficient travel to not be completely ridiculous.

The fairing appears to be three pieces -- the center piece holding the headlights and instruments, and two side pieces. It looks like you will be able to take the side pieces off, replace the tank and shrouds with an IMS tank, and end up with something pretty much identical to the current bike in profile but with better headlights, radiator, and horsepower (due to the revised head and piston). We'll see when the bikes actually arrive, but other than that it appears to be the same old KLR650 it's always been, just slightly lowered due to the KLE forks in front and lowering links in back.

For the guy who said he'd buy a V-strom first, I'm looking at the ABS Wee-strom. I considered a F650GS because during rainy season, ABS greatly helps preventing the slide-thru-the-intersection-on-side syndrome that occurs when you lock up your front wheel in a big oil slick at the intersection. Won't stop you any quicker, but at least you'll be on your wheels rather than sliding through the intersection on your rain gear! (Now *THAT* is a scary sensation, sliding on your side and wondering if the cars on the cross-street will stop in time to avoid hitting you as you slide into the intersection). Only problem with the ABS Wee-strom is the price -- it's way up there in BMW territory now. Ulp! That's what happens when you upgrade a bike with high technology -- it gets expensive. Nope, gimme the good ole' cheap'n'simple KLR instead...

-E

1 - 20 of 39 Posts