Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my rare & beautiful :roll: 1991 GSX1100G
Actually this one really is a bit rare and I do think its quite beautiful.

At home

and in its natural habitat

I love the looks of this engine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I guess your right. But I do think of it as more of a street bike :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
H'mmm, street only? Well I supposed I might have one of those.

My current street only motorcycle is a 1986 Kawasaki Concours. Still in pretty darn good shape.

One of my older bikes, actually it was strictly on road only, was a 2001 Vulcan Classic 1500 fi. I think a very pretty bike!

But I'm moving more towards the "multi-surface motorcycle" genre. I think the Concours might be up for sale here. I'll probably just stick with 3 of the ones in this photo, the Strom, KLR and KLX.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dang Marty, that is one of the better looking Strom's that I have seen. Love the paint.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OK I know a lot of you are totally anti-Harley-Davidson. I had an accident where I almost detached my left hand, so the wrist was so screwed up I couldn't put any compressive forces on it. My R1100R and K1200RS had to go, and I couldn't ride my Aprilia without eating painkillers like candy. I needed a bike with ergos set up for no wrist compression. Then add in my wife complaining about never having a comfortable ride, so now she has a La-Z-Boy on two wheels. So I bought a 2001 fuel injected Road King. Unlike most other HD owners, I added almost no chrome instead spending money to build the engine which now puts out 108 hp and 112 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel according to the dyno.

I've grown tired of the Road King, and I've especially grown tired of having to worry about it considering I have obsessive-compulsive tendancies to keep it as perfect as possible. Now I view it as a stack of cash sitting in the garage instead of a toy to play with. A black '07 KLR will soon replace this. It's for sale if your interested!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's quite pretty. What's up with the pipes though? Is that rust?

I don't understand the Harley bashing. Back in the AMF days I agree they were BAD bikes, but now they are a lot like Rolex's
A bit chunky and clunky, but built quite well actually. Most of all if they make you happy they are great bikes.

BTW I used to have a thing for purple bikes myself. :wink:
Ahhh... I can still remember the speeding tickets like it was yesterday.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ogre said:
That's quite pretty. What's up with the pipes though? Is that rust?

I don't understand the Harley bashing. Back in the AMF days I agree they were BAD bikes, but now they are a lot like Rolex's
A chunky and clunky, but built quite well actually. Most of all if they make you happy they are great bikes.
No, not rust, just heat discoloration. It's a 2-into-1 scavenging exhaust with adjustable louver plates and butterfly valve plate used to tune/control backpressure. This exhaust was used to help build power not noise. I haven't tried cleaning them up in a while. Any magical chemicals you know of to help out?

The odd thing to a lot of people is that in 18,000 miles this bike has never left me stranded (except for a flat rear tire), I've never had to make a single roadside repair, it doesn't leak oil, and the only single problem I've ever had was a warn out starter button (fixed for $40). I can't even remember how many times my BMW bikes were in the shop for electrical problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Excellent thread! Nice bikes, all!

I almost started a sportbike thread last night. I'll post up piccys of my lovelies later.

See ya, MH

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carl V said:
Any magical chemicals you know of to help out?

The odd thing to a lot of people is that in 18,000 miles this bike has never left me stranded (except for a flat rear tire), I've never had to make a single roadside repair, it doesn't leak oil, and the only single problem I've ever had was a warn out starter button (fixed for $40). I can't even remember how many times my BMW bikes were in the shop for electrical problems.
Sorry, I am starting to fight this battle on my GSX as it's pipes are discoloring a bit where they come out of the engine. If you find a fix pass it on.

Yup, the Harley bashing thing is not justified as I see it. They are reliable, very much so. Performance is off Jap standards (but not really for similar V-twin cruisers), but reliability is not.
KLR folks busting Harley's for performance is way off. The KLR is a 4 valve, DOHC, liquid cooled engine.
2 KLR's roughly equal 1 Harley. 38hp x 2 = 76hp. Isn't the stock Harley, 2 valve, push-rod, air-cooled EVO about 65 hp.
Harley does have a DOHC, 4 valve, liquid cooled engine in the V-rod, its makes just under 100hp. That's not shabby for a twin, any twin.
I realize that my math is a bit whacked here, but just saying we KLR's don't have a lot of room to talk.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Your math isn't too far off. We're still talking relatively old engine technology for the Harley and the KLR. I couldn't take how the slow the stock bike was coming off of 100+hp sportbikes, so I bumped it from 88 to 95 cubic inches. Then I added a high volume Fueling oil pump to scavenge the crankcase, ported Screamin? Eagle heads shaped by my machinist friend for better flow and fitted with both Viton valve seals and compression releases, bored the throttle body, ported the intake manifold, swapped to gear driven camshafts eliminating timing pitfalls of stock chain linkage, added a Power Commander III programmable fuel injection module custom mapped to match camshaft profile for instant power at highway speeds (13 dyno runs used for tuning), and finished it off with adjustable pushrods and tubes, performance lifters, Anstings piston rings, and upgraded gasket kits.

I like the bike, but I'm tired of having to care about it. It's time for a change, and the dirt is calling -- which is why I'm on this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
These are the two bikes I have now, if one has to be street only it has to be the wee.

·
Registered
66 Posts
DaddyJoe,
I think you have the best of both worlds. I'm jealous. I was fighting with myself over both bikes you own. If my Harley sells, I might have to copy you (except both of mine would be black).

·
Registered
93 Posts
My Valk on a recent ride to Montrose/Ouray/Telluride, etc.

Wife's blue Magna there, too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm a sucker for rare bikes too, Ogre, especially ones that get the job done. You've got a nice example of one of the best bikes that people, for some fickle reason, didn't buy. :?

I've got one kinda like it:

The unusual thing about this next pic is that there are two ZR1100s in it. That doesn't happen very often anywhere, much less here in the US. A Florida friend and I met at Deal's Gap a couple years ago... that's mine on the left.

BTW, Ogre, I believe that was taken at the same pulloff as a couple of your pics.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Thanks Carl V:
I opted to sell the wife's KLR to buy the wee so we can ride two up and not two bikes.

Mr GreenGene:

I thought I was seeing double untill I looked at the tires.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a "classic" as well - '91 VFR750. Recently repainted, so I haven't put any decals on yet. Working on 71,000 miles and still runs strong

My other non-KLR bike isn't exactly street only. It's a GS1150:

·
Registered
14 Posts
:twisted:

Flame away. Crappy dealership pick of my '06.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts