Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Sorry if this is an amateur question, but I am having trouble removing the choke cable from the carb. The side of the nut I have to loosen is pressed so close to the carb that I can't seem to fit a common wrench around it to loosen! Also, I cannot use wrench at a right angle, since the carb and engine get in the way, and the nut is on so tight.

How can I remove this super tight nut, given that it is pressed up against the carb so close that I can't really wrap my wrench all around it? I am tempted to just remove the choke cable at the handlebars and pull it through with the carb (out the right side) if it is too hard.

Thanks,

S. Tassan

P.S. I removed the seat and tank in order to have easy access to the right side of carb.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
If I remember correctly, I just used (gulp) a good pair of pliers. It just needed something that could grip it to break it loose.

I installed a KLX250 choke plunger knob on my choke to eliminate the cable and it worked perfectly. It was about as hard to get the new locknut tight as it was to get the old one off, though..

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Dude, I've asked WAY more amateur questions than that. And will again. :18:

Questions of all kinds are good...we all learn something from them.

Reactions: Fox Fader

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the replies! I will give it a shot with my pliers.

Paper, did you remove your whole choke assembly after installing your KLX250 choke plunger knob? That sounds pretty cool...

Thanks,

S. Tassan

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Yep.. Got rid of the entire cable/lever assembly.. Instead, I just reach under the tank and pull the choke knob.. Bike starts almost instantly and I let it run on the choke for until it'll run without it.. With the knob, you're either on or off choke.

My side stand sunk into soft dirt and the bike fell over, breaking my choke lever.. Seemed like a good time to do the knob. :) Been running like this for 3 years.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
DSJunky's old post from 3 years ago says..

I can't help you with the thread, but I've read that the choke from a 1996 KLX250 mounts directly to the carb lawn mower or dirt bike style, and it works well. You could order it from bike bandit, and plug and play.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
The ONLY complaint I have about this plunger is that it takes a bit to get used to.. Not because of how it works, but because of where it's at.. It's not as easily accessable as the lever on the bar.
After using it for a few times, you'll find it easy enough and will be able to shut the choke off without actually looking to see where it's at. :)

I'd never go back to the lever, though.. Simple and works perfectly, even with a bit of occasional hunting for the plunger at times..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
06 KLR 650..what KLX year plunger fits my bike?

Hey guys. My bike is a 2006 KLR 650. I am ready to buy the plunger, since my choke cable stripped when I pulled the cheap plastic POS out of the carb.

I have 2 questions about the KLX plunger:

What year KLX choker plunger do I need for 06 KLR 650?

1. I looked at some new KLX bikes, and the plunger looked around (but maybe not exactly) the right size. I can find plungers for 06, 07, 08, and 09 models.

2. Is the KLX plunger tip metal or plastic?

The KLR choke is plastic, which makes it strip very easily under pressure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

S. Tassan

·
Registered
452 Posts
What Paper says.

Kawi part # 16016-0013

Was under $25 at dealer a year or so ago.

Good luck.
i was at dealer today and your part number 16016-0013 went to a kx80/125 not klx
for a 96 klx part number i got was 16016-1068 .. wich did you use ?

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hi Wayne,
The thread you are looking at and replying to is from 2009. You may not get a response from the origional posters. The date is at the top left of each post.

If I were you I would try the one for the '96 klx250. Thought the part number may have been changed, the part is likely still the same.

Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
452 Posts
the parts came in today and i can tell you for a fact that the above number givem is wrong the barrel is right size but plastic like one im trying to replace ... and the plunger does not have the needled end like ours does its a flat faced plunger ..

i reordered the last 4 (1068) according to the micro fische .. this is holding me up from firing the rebuilt motor .

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
That sucks Wayne, I'm sorry about that. Can you swap the plunger from the klr? Can you post a picture?
Regards....justjeff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts