Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello there lurkers, I found me a 09 KLR to have as a second bike for taking friends out and shring this great world of adventure riding. I ride a GS and A KTM dual sport.
The bike is a project for me right now, Previous owner ran it low of oil. Wont start. From what ive found here it may be exhaust valves or lifter, could be more but wont know until i get into it further. The KLR is on my lift and each night i dig into it a little more.
I cant wait to fire it uop and start riding it, Im a sucker for big singles, I just love the train like torq of the motors.

So here we go, Got the bike, joined the site, And ready to meet more amazing people.

Hello people!
John

·
Registered
191 Posts
Congrats!
you've come to the right place.
There's a wealth of knowledge here and some extraordinary people who will go out of their way to help...

iddy

·
Registered
914 Posts
Well hello there lurkers, I found me a 09 KLR to have as a second bike for taking friends out and shring this great world of adventure riding. I ride a GS and A KTM dual sport.
The bike is a project for me right now, Previous owner ran it low of oil. Wont start. From what ive found here it may be exhaust valves or lifter, could be more but wont know until i get into it further. The KLR is on my lift and each night i dig into it a little more.
I cant wait to fire it uop and start riding it, Im a sucker for big singles, I just love the train like torq of the motors.

So here we go, Got the bike, joined the site, And ready to meet more amazing people.

Hello people!
John
A big welcome to the forum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone recommend a good on line place for parts. OEM KLR stuff like motor replacement parts gaskets oil filters etc. I'm rebuilding the motor and wondered if there's a good source you like using. I'm in the USA so someone here is best for me.
Thanks in advance.
John

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
1500klr,
Best source for OEM parts is of course your local Kawasaki Dealer, if you have a good one, in Your Town.
Should be free freight, unless you are in a rush. Of course you have to ride/drive to get your parts.

A loyal customer or a large order can sometimes negotiate a discount. Pre-Paid.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Welcome :mexican wave:
Eagle Mike is my choice for any parts that he has available.
The material is first class and delivery is fast.
Check out his place at http://www.eaglemike.com.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Welcome! Once you get it running you'll be surprised by all the power it has and you'll be ready to sell that KTM! :) j/k Which KTM do you have?
I'm guessing you paid $1500 for your KLR.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Same here...
Engine stuff:
Eagle Mike's
Schnitz Racing

Tires & Accessories:
Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
Revzilla

Pro Cycle in Oregon has some interesting stuff.

And welcome to the forums and good luck with the project.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hahaha, I did get it for 1500 thats how i chose the name. Got the top end apart and it needs a new head, Guess the previous owner ran it dry(i drained out barely 1/2 qt thick and black oil). Bent exhaust valve, The shim wak dislodged and wedged on an angle, I need a top end cam and all. Oh well my search is on for replacement parts.
I have a 2011 GS 1200 and a 2014 KTM 350 excf im building this for my son so we can go on mini trips together.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Awesome!!

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum! :)

$1500 is still a good price even counting having to scrounge up a replacement head. Unfortunately a lot of people don't check their oil to often and the destroyed head is a result. Are you going to go for a 685 overbore or keep the stock cylinder?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts