Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife said my bike sounded like a lawn mower. I can't afford a new muffler right now. I have heard of some of the people on the forum doing the cheap exhaust mod. I would like to know the best way to do this.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know what you mean. I wish someone knew the answer to that question. I have another question myself. Is the corbin seat as good as they say it is?

·
Banned
44 Posts
For the exhaust all you make the hole larger and remove the center. Approx. 1 1/2" hole is all you need. Drive a wood plug into the end, then a hole saw works great to drill it out. You may sacrifice a 1 1/2" hole saw though. After drilling you will remove the center, there will be a baffel about 5-6" long that may need to be persuaded to come out, it will. At this point you can leave it or as I did weld a piece of exhaust pipe to it at a slight angle to direct it away from the bike. Hope this helps and is clear enough to understand. As for the seat, Yes Corbins are great. However there are a few other seats out there just as good for much less cash. Sargent makes one and there is also KLR650.com that carries the African Single seat. The African Single is an excellent seat for a fair price, also what I chose.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Real similar to MetalBender, I used a 1 3/4" holesaw bit and
pulled out the core. Hadda grab the piece with needlenose visegrips and coax it out
but no problem. Worked free n' out in a coupla minutes. It didn't sound too different
but had a deeper bark. I took a piece of rebar and rammed the forward baffle or
the back of the cat, whichever it was. Punched a 1/2" hole in that too. Now it
sounds like a motorcycle. Not loud, but has a loud bark when I crack the throttle.
At steady cruise and idle, still sounds stock. Perfect for me. Dual personality.

CheapMark

·
Registered
170 Posts
exsaust mod

My wife said my bike sounded like a lawn mower. I can't afford a new muffler right now. I have heard of some of the people on the forum doing the cheap exhaust mod. I would like to know the best way to do this.
Thanks.
I just finished the removal of the "tweety" tube,, and let me tell you,that KLR sounds awsome now! I love it,it's a cross between a BUELL 650 lighting,,,,,and a small Ducati motor.Very cool.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Save up and buy a good muffler I went with a Supertrap sounds good and with a K&N air filter runs great.I have the Corbin low rider I love it.click my profile to view

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I made a steel drill guide that was a tap fit into the exhaust opening to keep the hole saw centered. Also made an aluminum ring to hold a spark arrestor that I got from J.C. Whitney attached by 10-32 button head screws.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks.
If you're going to keep the bike with you I think you should start saving and invest in a good quality muffler.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I made a steel drill guide that was a tap fit into the exhaust opening to keep the hole saw centered. Also made an aluminum ring to hold a spark arrestor that I got from J.C. Whitney attached by 10-32 button head screws.

That drill guide is awesome. Feel like passing it around?

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
That drill guide is awesome. Feel like passing it around?
PM sent. Yeah I'll pass it along.

I used a 2 1/8" holesaw along with the guide. Be patient, I burned up the first one and had to get another new one to finish. Keep the RPM's down and use plenty of metal cutting fluid.

Some end caps here http://www.polyperformance.com/atv/HMF-End-Caps-p-23462.html just use the end cap itself as a template to mark, drill, and tap for the attaching screws.

·
Registered
257 Posts
PM sent. Yeah I'll pass it along.

I used a 2 1/8" holesaw along with the guide. Be patient, I burned up the first one and had to get another new one to finish. Keep the RPM's down and use plenty of metal cutting fluid.

Some end caps here http://www.polyperformance.com/atv/HMF-End-Caps-p-23462.html just use the end cap itself as a template to mark, drill, and tap for the attaching screws.
Excellent. I know all about drilling and cutting stainless. Low speed/high pressure/lots of juice. :)

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
You guys are entertaining. LOL

I'd say tractor here too. Except one of those 1950's Deere or I.H.'s. (ka-BLAP!)
The full flow I ended up with leads to very low rpm cruises in town.
I halta just stay at 3-4k with gentle roll-ons. Take that into consideration
if any of you go as far as this. Remember you can't go back either.
EBAY has Cheap takeoff stockers too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
For all who are interested in a cheep (and most importantly) and reliable answer to your question:

http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,9879.0.html

The Frugal Exhaust Mod.

Well, instead of spending a few hundred on a new exhaust, I thought I’d try something a little cheaper first. I took a 2 and 1/8” hole saw and cut out the tweety tube and baffle and install, an extra, spark arrester to get better flow and a deeper tone out of it. The 2 and 1/8” was the perfect size for removing the baffle tube. It also was the perfect size for the spark arrester.
A little caution in cutting the hole; IT WAS A REAL PAIN IN THE BUT! It took over an hour to cut it and two hole saws; one old and one new one! Use lots of oil and go slow!
I made the flange in my brothers’ machine shop out of aluminum and buffed it. It will eventually get anodized. I was thinking of putting a longer turned down tube on it but I kind of like the look of the short flange on it. I attached the tube on with 4 10-32 ss button heads tapped into the end and lock-tight was used.
It popped once when I revved the engine before I installed the spark arrestor but it seems good now. The hole size is around 1 and 7/8” finished. I have already done the 22 cent smile maker mod including the snorkel removal and, of course, adjusted the fuel mix to about 2 and ½ turns from the bottom.
I haven’t ripped out the back fire screen yet but I don’t know if it will help if I don’t do the L mod. I also have to get some advice about how to rip it out, hopefully in one piece.

Performance results:
Sounds much better at low rpm; a little like a helicopter. Louder but not obnoxiously loud, I would say 15% maybe. Better acceleration in medium to high rpms. It seems to run smoother now also.
I took it out for a dirt and a mountain road run and it was great. I also road it 50 miles to work on the freeway at 70+ mph and it felt smooth.
Oh, and did I mention it sounds better now, like a real thumper! thumb Man I love a cheap mod that works!

Note: I wrote this and did this mod in 08. I have put 35K miles on it without any problems. Still sounds good and the screen is in good shape. Oh, and I don't have to repack it. 99.9% of law enforcement will think it's stock. It's also important to mention that I'm NOT removing the spark arrestor, it's way down inside. The reason I use the "screen" (spark arrestor) is to keep things from going down inside of the pipe (mice with dog food, rocks, sticks...)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts