Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '09 KLR 650 used and the previous owner must have dropped it as the nose is slightly tweaked. It's not noticeable standing still but when riding you can definitely tell it is cocked. How do I remove the front nose plastic so I can stick a pry bar in there and straighten it out?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Here's the scanned section out of the service manual for removal of the upper fairing. It's the 2016 manual, but hopefully not too far off steps-wise. I've had the upper fairing off and don't recall having to remove the headlight assembly, as mentioned in the details. Rather, I left it in, disconnected the leads and slid the nose off with the headlight assembly still in there.

I've had to do this exercise before. While you've got that all apart make sure your forks, triple tree and bar are square. It's a good time to square all that up too.

Hope pdfs attach.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the scanned section out of the service manual for removal of the upper fairing. It's the 2016 manual, but hopefully not too far off steps-wise. I've had the upper fairing off and don't recall having to remove the headlight assembly, as mentioned in the details. Rather, I left it in, disconnected the leads and slid the nose off with the headlight assembly still in there.

I've had to do this exercise before. While you've got that all apart make sure your forks, triple tree and bar are square. It's a good time to square all that up too.

Hope pdfs attach.

Good luck!
Thanks! Do you need to take the lower plastic off first?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Working from memory here. The step-by-step doesn't have you removing the lowers to get the upper fairing off. However, iirc I had a problem accessing one of the bolts or fasteners on the upper fairing and ended up removing them. The lowers do need to come off anyway if you end up removing the upper fairing bracket to work on straightening it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Working from memory here. The step-by-step doesn't have you removing the lowers to get the upper fairing off. However, iirc I had a problem accessing one of the bolts or fasteners on the upper fairing and ended up removing them. The lowers do need to come off anyway if you end up removing the upper fairing bracket to work on straightening it.
OK, got it. I figure if I can get the plastic off I can use a pry bar to straighten it out, right?

·
Registered
541 Posts
OK, got it. I figure if I can get the plastic off I can use a pry bar to straighten it out, right?
Well, I'd say before prying or bending anything, see what the problem is. Then I'd suggest that you try and avoid prying or bending anything. Loosening bolts and fasteners and realigning parts might be the path to get your problem solved. :wink2:

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
There are four Allen head bolts that have to come out, the headlight connector need to be removed, and the two turn signal connectors need to be undone to remove the cowl.

The cowl needs to be rocked from side to side a bit to clear the dash.

Two bolts are in the dash, two are under the cowl just forward of the gas tank.

Tom

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Tom,
Looks like you have a double posting. But that is not why I'm posting!

Is that an oil pressure gauge on the L.H. side of that dash??
Friends bike? Or did ya' buy a spare bike? Maybe you got tired of changing tires, from dirt to street and back again?

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
I don't think I've ever had more trouble putting up a post. Took me 40 minutes.

Nah, that's a thermometer and a clock.

This was back when I was swapping things from my '08 to my '09, way before the oil pressure testing started.

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts