Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5,000+ with the longest trip being from Sacramento, Morro Bay, Isabella Lake, Palmdale, Salton Sea, Yuma and wet cold snow return.
San Diego a few times.
A few coastal rides to Morro Bay and area.
A coastal route to Corbins in Hollister with a coastal return.
Couple trips to Santa Rosa.
Day trip to Bolinas and Mount Tamalpais.
Day trip to Woodland, Clear Lake, Berryessa, home.
Best new experiences: Highway 58 from Santa Margarita to McKittrick. Highway 178 Canyon from Bakersfield to Isabella Lake.
Looking forward to: Carizzo Plain National Monument and NorCal Tech Daze.
Gotta a couple month long trips planned but they might be on a different motorcycle.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Not enough. I gotta step it up. :character00201:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
5,000+ with the longest trip being from Sacramento, Morro Bay, Isabella Lake, Palmdale, Salton Sea, Yuma and wet cold snow return.
San Diego a few times.
A few coastal rides to Morro Bay and area.
A coastal route to Corbins in Hollister with a coastal return.
Couple trips to Santa Rosa.
Day trip to Bolinas and Mount Tamalpais.
Day trip to Woodland, Clear Lake, Berryessa, home.
Best new experiences: Highway 58 from Santa Margarita to McKittrick. Highway 178 Canyon from Bakersfield to Isabella Lake.
Looking forward to: Carizzo Plain National Monument and NorCal Tech Daze.
Gotta a couple month long trips planned but they might be on a different motorcycle.

12k more or less, back and forth to work, back and forth, back and forth...

Next time your in the Bakersfiled/Isabella area take the Caliente Bodfish road instead of going through Kern Canyon (178). Mucho nicer... :12:

·
Registered
122 Posts
12k more or less, back and forth to work, back and forth, back and forth...

Next time your in the Bakersfiled/Isabella area take the Caliente Bodfish road instead of going through Kern Canyon (178). Mucho nicer... :12:
I remember riding Hiway 155 West from Isabella Lake to Hiway 65 a few years ago. My arms got tired from all the twistys!

Sleddog

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got my KLR in March and have put a little over 1k on her. I drive 60 plus miles a day to work and back.
Wish I would have bought the KLR instead of the Brand new xr650l I bought before this one :)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Caliente Bodfish Road and Hwy 155 are hugh on my list.

Originally planned to ride Hwy 178 around Isabella Lake and Caliente Bodfish to Hwy58. The backside of 178 was washed out and closed. I missed the turn off to get to Caliente Bodfish and rode the canyon again.

I have a three day trip beginning tomorrow but after that I am planning on trip through Morro Bay, 58, Carizzo Plain, 58, Caliente Bodfish, 155, 65, ?. Not sure is 155 is going to be motorcycle friendly or if the backside of 178 is going to be open.

12,000 miles, Wow! That is 36,000 miles annually.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Caliente Bodfish Road and Hwy 155 are hugh on my list.

Originally planned to ride Hwy 178 around Isabella Lake and Caliente Bodfish to Hwy58. The backside of 178 was washed out and closed. I missed the turn off to get to Caliente Bodfish and rode the canyon again.

I have a three day trip beginning tomorrow but after that I am planning on trip through Morro Bay, 58, Carizzo Plain, 58, Caliente Bodfish, 155, 65, ?. Not sure is 155 is going to be motorcycle friendly or if the backside of 178 is going to be open.

12,000 miles, Wow! That is 36,000 miles annually.

Oh wait... I read the thread title wrong. I ride about 12k miles a year, hello. So that's about 4k so far this year, duh.

Right now 155 will probably be open, there will be a lot of sand on it higher up because of the snow. Sierra Way is the road on the north side of Isabella Lake and it's still closed, last I heard it would be summer before they get it open. They had a big rain and a large part of the hill slid away. 178 stays on the south side of the lake.

When are you going? Another month or so (maybe more this year with all the snow) and Sherman Pass should be open. It's a great road. Starts about 20 miles north of Kernville, goes through 9 Mile and dumps you out on 395.

I live in Ridgecrest and have ridden most of the roads over there. Let me know if you need details.

BTW a great site for California roads is Pashnit.com.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh wait... I read the thread title wrong. I ride about 12k miles a year, hello. So that's about 4k so far this year, duh.

Right now 155 will probably be open, there will be a lot of sand on it higher up because of the snow. Sierra Way is the road on the north side of Isabella Lake and it's still closed, last I heard it would be summer before they get it open. They had a big rain and a large part of the hill slid away. 178 stays on the south side of the lake.

When are you going? Another month or so (maybe more this year with all the snow) and Sherman Pass should be open. It's a great road. Starts about 20 miles north of Kernville, goes through 9 Mile and dumps you out on 395.

I live in Ridgecrest and have ridden most of the roads over there. Let me know if you need details.

BTW a great site for California roads is Pashnit.com.
Thanks for the advice and information. I might be in that area as soon as next week. Want to take a ride to Mount Wilson Observatory?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Ridgecrest,+CA&daddr=Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Willow+Springs+International+Raceway,+Rosamond,+CA&hl=en&geocode=FTiOHwIdD3z8-CmligwAvGzBgDG6rhBnA3Oy3A%3BFTP-GQIdchH4-A%3BFbDDFgIdZAb3-A%3BFVUcFAIdGmrz-Cnbaa8frj_CgDErH-g_xtLUTA&mra=ls&sll=35.199623,-118.094788&sspn=0.278301,0.673599&ie=UTF8&ll=35.288227,-118.081055&spn=1.111981,2.694397&t=h&z=9

Since you live in this area can you tell me what "B" and "C" are?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

Sure B is the old Honda test facility, it's closed down now. It's for sale, could be yours!

C is the Hyundai proving grounds. I didn't know it was out there.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure B is the old Honda test facility, it's closed down now. It's for sale, could be yours!

C is the Hyundai proving grounds. I didn't know it was out there.
Awesome! Think they will take a check :)

Incredible history in that part of the desert.
-First American private space walk launch site
-Edwards AFB
-Willow Creek Raceway
-and two test tracks

All within a few desert miles.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I got only 450 in so far. :( Just traveling too much but some great local stuff. I got 50mi in today because it was so beautiful that as soon as I got home, from a month on the road, I had to get into some dirt and mild twisties. The desert is actually green! Craziness!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
How many ridden this year?? It's April!!

They're calling for up to 3" of snow tonight!!!

I've ridden the KLR about 190 miles, all on last Sunday afternoon.. Other than that, I got it out and rode it 10 miles to work a couple weeks ago.. It was 22 degrees out..

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Well, they were wrong.. We only got 2", but it's supposed to continue til noon when it's supposed to be warm enough to turn to rain..

[sarcasm on]I sure hope they dump salt all over the roads, since they're only wet!![sarcasm off]

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Added another 589 miles including Mark's Excellent Weekend Ride.

Paper I feel for you. Hated it when it was to wet and too cold to enjoy riding. The riding weather is getting better every day.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
What hurts even more is the fact that it's snowing at home, where my bike is at, and I'm in Northern KY for work, not that I'd have time to ride, but at least it's not snowing. :) Of course all I have is a rental Chevy Yukon..

Maybe this weekend?? Unless they dump salt all over the roads this week..

·
Registered
257 Posts
How many ridden this year?? It's April!!

They're calling for up to 3" of snow tonight!!!

I've ridden the KLR about 190 miles, all on last Sunday afternoon.. Other than that, I got it out and rode it 10 miles to work a couple weeks ago.. It was 22 degrees out..
I haven't stopped riding... :11a:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts