Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a good overall estimate. I understand you can upgrade in so many different ways but there must be some middle ground that most riders buy.

I am curious in riding cross country, or commuting. Other than the obvious things such doohicky or spring (depending on Gen I or II). A new seat, some saddle bags/storage, a higher windershield, skidplate (in case I go offroad). Are there any other things mechanically or accessory wise that I just might not be aware of or thinking of?

I'm sure this has been asked multiple times so if you could direct me to a place where I can get a better sense of this in one post. I have read many individual posts but I am hoping there is a compilation of purchases after buying your KLR stock.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just recently bought a 2009 KLR and here is what I have spent so far roughly... (I live in Australia but I have not included the postage I paid)

From Eagle Mike - Doohickey kit (not incl. tools) -$100

From Happy Trails - Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen and LED rear light kit - $170

Seat Concepts seat - Tall seat for KLR - $160

motorcycle-luggage-shop.com - 46L Givi Monokey top box - Euro 125

Sydney City Motorcycles - Givi Monokey attachment plate - AU$80

So that's about $600 so far and I reckon that will sort me out for commuting. Luckily my KLR has come with SW-Motech engine guard, but I am looking at better pegs ($100 - $150), hand guards ($50 - $150) and skid plate ($100) as a minimum for going off-road on day trips. Also thinking that a centre stand ($150) would be a good idea.

Therefore, all up I will have spent around $1000, but you would probably want to add on the cost of engine guard ($200 - $300) and panniers ($400+++) to that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I figured it be upward towards an additional $2,000 all said and done. Seems like you bought most of the things I would upgrade to myself, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put Trax side cases from Twisted Throttle on mine. They cost over a grand and thought I must be nuts to spend that kind of money but I'll tell you they make the machine a very useful utility bike. Changed sprockets for taller gearing for road use too. I wouldn't have it any other way except still need a taller windshield. So I agree a couple grand would be a good start. I recommend consider your mods carefully because they can easily lower the value of the bike.
Good luck and
Have fun

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Seriously it's a very capable bike right out of the box... The only thing you really need to put into it is oil and gas ;).
Ride it for a while and see what you would like to improve upon, then go from there.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I spent about $1500. Much of that was to get rid of the pregnant exhaust can and put on an Altrider skid plate. I also can't stand the wimpy horns that many manufacturers install. Also installed was better lights front and rear.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Seriously it's a very capable bike right out of the box... The only thing you really need to put into it is oil and gas ;).
Ride it for a while and see what you would like to improve upon, then go from there.
I concur. But get some grip puppies. Cheap and make a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I added sw-motech bars, $200.
Jns skidplate, $160
Eagle mike sub frame through bolt $25
Low profile oil drain plug $8
Metal handguards $45
Rear master cylinder guard $20

Came with racks & pelican cases.

I feel like i can know ride the hell out of the bike, drop it, and not worry.

I've added other farkles for comfort, but the above list is what i felt i would want for going offroad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts