Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just did my first tire replacement this past spring. Dumped the stock Dunlops for Shinko 700’s. (My road riding increased a little due to Brandon’s policies) I have 1100 miles on them and they are holding up fairly well. I expect several thousand more miles out of them at this rate. I have some small complaints but not sure if the cost outweighs the annoyance. There’s certainly advantages to be had with the right tires, but I’m not sure if I found my ideal tire yet. Gonna research my next set a lot more.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ran Shinko 244s when I first got my 09 KLR, after one set, the front tire cupped real bad and I switched to the 705s. I don't ride much off-road though so take that for what it is. I do ride a mile one way from my house to the main road on gravel. The 705s can be wiggly after a fresh grading and gavel replacement by the county. But it is that way with any tire. A friend rode his BMW on the road with the big block tires and said they worked great off-road and he was never left behind on the mountain twisties we ride on.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just did my first tire replacement this past spring. Dumped the stock Dunlops for Shinko 700’s. (My road riding increased a little due to Brandon’s policies) I have 1100 miles on them and they are holding up fairly well. I expect several thousand more miles out of them at this rate. I have some small complaints but not sure if the cost outweighs the annoyance. There’s certainly advantages to be had with the right tires, but I’m not sure if I found my ideal tire yet. Gonna research my next set a lot more.
I've had the Shinko 244's. Kind of similar to the 700's. These are old Dual Sport tire designs. Mine did well off road, but left a lot to be desired on road. They got REALLY noisy about 1/3 into their useful lives, and they did squirm when you're cornering aggressively on pavement. Also they're sizing was odd. It was in inches I believe so it was difficult if not impossible to find the exact metric equivalent, which mean you either had to go slightly bigger or slightly smaller.

If Brandon's policies is keeping you more on pavement, but still want to have very good dirt traction, nothing beats the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires. These tires are very smooth on pavement for such aggressive ADV tires. And their profile suits the KLR's handling very well, so it turns in nicely, and has very neutral steering. And their pavement traction and feel is amazing! You can ride them as hard as you like in the corners. Off road, they are VERY good. They perform best when you air them down to 20/20...they will tolerate less if you find yourself in soft sand.

I once combined a Trailmax Mission rear with a Shinko 804 big block up front. Awesome combination for off road traction and great handling and longevity on pavement, including high speed highway. The Shinko 804 front is amazing on pavement for a knobby tire. Yeah your braking distance will be longer, but you don't get any of the Knobby penalty at the rear. Another great combination is the Continental TKC 80 front and TKC 70 Rocks at the rear. That is, if you can swallow the cost ($$$).

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have 705s on my 2018 and have out 2000 miles on it (third owner). Moving from dort bikes, the KLR combined with the 705 is a pig off road, I was able to get around,. But 4x4 jeep trails that wouldn't slow down a dirt bike took effort and were uncomfortable for me on the KLR.

Regarding high speed stability, I cruise 70 and hit 80 if I have to get around town. Normally the bike is planted, but I have found that if my soft side cases are empty, I can get a loose feeling in the front end. Take the cases off, solid, fill the cases with a little weight, solid. Motorcycles are not areodynamic and anything that you do from setting sag of your rear shock, to your windshield choice, to saddlebags will have an impact on handling.

I second the thought that you try to get another rider on your bike to try to recreate. Also agree that you revisiting the uncomfortable aspect of your ride in a more controlled approach can be invaluable.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts