Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many things to love about our bike: it'll get you anywhere a tank could go, and some places a tank couldn't. It's probably the most economical motorized transport you could have other than a motor-assisted bicycle or scooter. It'll tolerate a tremendous amount of abuse. It's the perfect bike for the apocalypse (zombie or otherwise), and you could argue that that makes it more badass than any other bike right out of the gate.

However, I find myself compelled to ask: how much, in your heart of hearts, do you enjoy the moment-to-moment experience of riding this thing?

On pavement, I wish it was a cruiser. On dirt, I wish it was an uncompromising dirt bike. When cagers get stupid (which means very often), I hate its sluggish acceleration because I can't escape danger the way I would like.

Does this resonate with any of you? Ever feel you pay a high price for the KLR's versatility?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I rode a DR650 that felt better than the KLR on the trail but my Versys 1000 would really suck off road. You have to trade off if you want both in one bike. It's like women. Pick a girl that can cook fine meals, she's probably going to be fat. Get a skinny one and she'll purge most of the dinner you just cooked. Find yourself a medium sized one and you'll be able to tolerate her same as the KLR. That's the way life is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are many things to love about our bike: it'll get you anywhere a tank could go, and some places a tank couldn't. It's probably the most economical motorized transport you could have other than a motor-assisted bicycle or scooter. It'll tolerate a tremendous amount of abuse. It's the perfect bike for the apocalypse (zombie or otherwise), and you could argue that that makes it more badass than any other bike right out of the gate.

However, I find myself compelled to ask: how much, in your heart of hearts, do you enjoy the moment-to-moment experience of riding this thing?

On pavement, I wish it was a cruiser. On dirt, I wish it was an uncompromising dirt bike. When cagers get stupid (which means very often), I hate its sluggish acceleration because I can't escape danger the way I would like.

Does this resonate with any of you? Ever feel you pay a high price for the KLR's versatility?
As a former/future KLR rider, I todo comprendo where you're coming from (re: enjoyment)... I'm lucky enough to keep 2 or 3 bikes at a time, and as such can just jump on another one if I grow fatigued of the current ride. I plan on selling my '16 Honda VFR 1200x to move on a new '22 KLR 650 (w/ all the farkle on it), and altho' I will miss the Honda, that KLR will get me out to way different places (road-wise), and I'm really looking forward to that. Also: whichever apocalypse arrives, I'll be ready for it !!!

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts

I used to; when it was stock. I had nine bikes in the garage including A KTM300XCW, a Versys 650 and a ZX6R....and of course my 2001 KLR which was basically stock. Riding the KLR on the pavement had me wishing for the Versys and riding it offroad had me badly wishing for my KTM. But, after a bad crash sidelined me for awhile, I decided to sell all the motorcycles.....but at the last minute, I decided to keep the KLR because it was slow and not that capable and I could get a bit of a "bike fix" without worrying too much about injuring myself again. Once the KLR was my only bike, I slowly started to modify it to address its shortcomings and make it better.......long story short, I was shocked at how much better some smart mods could make the bike; it still isn't a ZX6r on the pavement nor a KTM300 offroad but its 10X better than it was stock and I find it very enjoyable to ride in most conditions. While the KLR is indeed a budget "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" it retains some actual dirt bike DNA that can be exhumed will relatively little effort. I am lucky in that I can afford to ride any bike I want......with the mods I've done, I feel my KLR's perform admirably in a wide variety of conditions while retaining the KLR's legendary strengths - reliability, simplicity and longevity.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
227 Posts
Its just an extremely well rounded machine. Comfortable seating position and riding posture, easy to use power, not too loud, good on gas. Whats not to like? And if I want power, speed, and noise, I'll go race my dirt bike.......... To each their own.

Oh and last but not least, its SIMPLE and RELIABLE. bingo!

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,405 Posts
These days, I can’t do berm shots and jump whoops, so a “real dirt bike” is beyond my capabilities. A well sorted KLR is fine for riding up logging roads and back country routes. And if I do any camping, I can haul a lot more comfortable sleeping equipment on it (I also need a thick air mattress for these bones!).

But if I want to cover 500-1000 miles of superslab in a day, a touring bike is the best tool. That’s why I keep big a HD Electraglide and a KLR.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
These days, I can’t do berm shots and jump whoops, so a “real dirt bike” is beyond my capabilities. A well sorted KLR is fine for riding up logging roads and back country routes. And if I do any camping, I can haul a lot more comfortable sleeping equipment on it (I also need a thick air mattress for these bones!).

But if I want to cover 500-1000 miles of superslab in a day, a touring bike is the best tool. That’s why I keep big a HD Electraglide and a KLR.

I had a HD Electraglide classic but my injuries made any trip longer than a couple hours pure torture. :(

This

·
Registered
703 Posts
Like most motorcycle questions this can be a personal perspective question. It can depend on your experiences.

Is there such a thing as the “Perfect” motorcycle? I used to spend a lot of miles on road bikes. When I decided to let them go and get a dual sport, I looked at a lot of just such bikes. I ended up with my KLR based on a plethora of decisions. Shortly after I purchased my KLR I wanted a sport bike once again. There have been days when I’m riding my sport bike and wish I was riding my KLR and vice versa. To me anyway, to have a motorcycle I can ride period is a blessing. I’ve told this before but when I was very young, I came extremely close to being six feet below grade or at a minimum paralyzed due to a dirt bike incident. So, yes, I do enjoy every moment I have on any motorcycle be it my KLR or any other motorcycle I can swing a leg over. My personal experiences have shaped the way I look at motorcycles and how I appreciate them. I can always overlook some of the short comings of the KLR, understanding and appreciating what just such a motorcycle was designed for. Is there such a thing as the perfect motorcycle? What may be fine for someone else may not be fine for me. To answer your question - Yes, I genuinely enjoy riding my KLR a lot, whenever and wherever I get the chance. You can often find me in the garage sitting on it while it’s snowing planning my summer days when I can get more seat time.

·
Registered
703 Posts
My first "Adventure" bike was a Green Honda CT Trail 70 when I was 9 years old. Man, did I have a lot of adventures in those days. You could hardly pry me off that minibike but maybe to eat dinner. 🤣😂

·
Registered
28 Posts
Like a lot of you, I have 2 bikes. My KLR for when I just want to jump on and go somewhere under 200 miles round trip or if I know there will be some dirt in the mix. Then I have the Goldwing for longer destination trips, touring, all pavement, higher speeds or just a relaxing cruise. Whichever bike I'm on at the time makes me smile. Both have their shortcomings.

I knew going into this that the KLR would fall short of riding pure off-road or pure paved roads. However, it's a ton of fun on both! I'm sure the Goldwing will be replaced someday. The KLR is here to stay.

Want to know a way to make the KLR even more fun to ride? Do a long trip on a heavy Goldwing. The next day, jump on the KLR. It will feel really LIGHT and so easy to throw around.

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
242 Posts
Put 100s of thousands of miles on old Goldwings over the last decades ... gradually I got too old to crawl around in the driveway fixing things (no garage/shop) ... and the beasts seemed to be getting heavier ... so when my last one broke I took the plunge and switched to a '14 KLR650 ... lighter, more nimble and I hope ultimately more reliable ... admittedly there have been a few PO bugs to find/fix ... but all in all ... yes I really enjoy riding a KLR650 ...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Put 100s of thousands of miles on old Goldwings over the last decades ... gradually I got too old to crawl around in the driveway fixing things (no garage/shop) ... and the beasts seemed to be getting heavier ... so when my last one broke I took the plunge and switched to a '14 KLR650 ... lighter, more nimble and I hope ultimately more reliable ... admittedly there have been a few PO bugs to find/fix ... but all in all ... yes I really enjoy riding a KLR650 ...
Get the doohickey done, change the oil often, get a thermobob, let it warm up before you ride it, try to use ethanol free fuel only. Don't worry even without all that it'll still run forever!

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
242 Posts
Ethanol free fuel is not for sale around Toronto ... the other suggestions will happen.
EM's dohickey Kit on hand already.

Reactions: Hvymax

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
Ethanol free fuel is not for sale around Toronto
You might look into using Startron fuel treatment.
I use the concentrate version in every 5 gallon jug of fuel that I purchase for shop use.
One third of an ounce (10ml) per 5 - 6 gallons (19 - 23L) makes it pretty economical to use.
I have a little 2 ounce squirt bottle marked off in 1/3 oz measurements, both right side up & upside down. :)

www.startron.com/fuel101

Many of my customers are using it every tank of fuel, both ethanol blended & non-ethanol fuel.
One of those customers uses it in his Sprinter van Motorhome, pulling his bike trailer on long-distance road trips.
He says his overall fuel mileage increases enough to actually become a financial benefit. Not much but some.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts