Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 118 Posts

Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
The extra weight makes the Gen3 unattractive to me. 馃ぃ
I鈥檝e been doing sections of the WABDR and other Forest service roads in WA and I鈥檓 appreciating the lower weight of my Gen1 vs. my Gen2. Now, if Kaw had put a 6-speed tranny in it, or seriously revised the ratios in the 5-speed box, I鈥檇 be more interested, but without those changes, I鈥檓 still looking for an under-400lb bike if/when I replace my current ones.

Registered
The extra weight makes the Gen3 unattractive to me. 馃ぃ
I鈥檝e been doing sections of the WABDR and other Forest service roads in WA and I鈥檓 appreciating the lower weight of my Gen1 vs. my Gen2. Now, if Kaw had put a 6-speed tranny in it, or seriously revised the ratios in the 5-speed box, I鈥檇 be more interested, but without those changes, I鈥檓 still looking for an under-400lb bike if/when I replace my current ones.

That makes sense. especially the 6-speed gearbox ! THAT would've been a killer selling point. That said, I'll be picking mine up (hopefully) next month... and I am stoked. Part of me also thinks that elements of the '94-'95 KLX (except the paint & graphics, they were terrible) would also serve the KLR platform well (upside down fork, wasp-thin center profile)
...we shall see, I am getting impatient !

Registered
I have several motorcycles in the garage, but guess which one sits in the back and gets to leave the garage more than the others?

Reactions: Hvymax

Registered
Enjoy? Hmmm, not really. It's a compromise. I have street bikes for longer distances and more speed. I do wish it was lighter and a little narrower, but that's the price of liquid cooling. I use my KLR mainly for commuting and the occasional trail ride, and running errands, and it works acceptably for that. My favorite bike? No, but I'll hang on to it for a while yet.

Registered
Although it's supposedly good at "everything", I think that the KLR is really great at one thing - going slowly. There's no bike that I like better for exploring the forest service roads and ATV trails at 20-25 mph than the KLR - it just purrs along with more than enough power to get around, whereas my R1150 would get really hot and sound like a (very expensive) rattling bucket of bolts.

Registered
Its funny, I'm on my 3rd GS and yet, I cant wait to spend more time on the KLR. I've only just purchased it and in the process of doing a few things to make it more mine. Don't get me wrong, the GS is still my favorite bike of all time but can only go so far off road without being scared to break something expensive.

Premium Member
Enjoy? Hmmm, not really. It's a compromise. I have street bikes for longer distances and more speed. I do wish it was lighter and a little narrower, but that's the price of liquid cooling. I use my KLR mainly for commuting and the occasional trail ride, and running errands, and it works acceptably for that. My favorite bike? No, but I'll hang on to it for a while yet.

Yes the KLR is far from perfect though I'm not sure that being a compromise means you can't enjoy it; I enjoy mine. I've had 47 bikes all the way from a Z50 to an Electraglide classic and from a KTM300 to a ZX6R; most of those bikes did something better than the KLR and many excelled at certain missions but I've found that enjoyment bears little relation to functional prowess. .....might just be me.

Cheers,
Dave

Premium Member
Something else I love about the KLR is knowing the ins and outs of it and how easy is to work on.
When it's a 50 mile hike, just to get to cell service -you betcha!
I actually have several KLRs for just this reason, cheap farmboy model forces me to do all my own work and while they're setup differently, the guts are all the same. :)

Registered
2000 KLR 650
I've put only 2 fuel leaky miles on mine but its already pretty fun...I will check back in after a season or two;)

I have an 80 cb750k and an 81 cb900f if I want to road bike and pound lots of pavement. (comfortably in the 750, quickly in the 900)
update: after a few weeks of work, mine actually runs reliably and normally as of Monday, and I have put my first 100-ish miles on the bike. Having ridden many many different bikes over the years its a really pleasant rider. I am excited to get it off road once i get some quality 50/50s on there.

Registered
Well guys. I was new klr rider in march of 2020. Since then my brother inlaw quit riding his vstrom 650 cause he doesn鈥檛 like its manners off-road where we mostly ride. Another rider traded his bmw gs for a ktm lol. My original riding partner with 790 ktm are still going strong. Im loving Klr with my mods ive added since I bought. 9000 km when purchased in March 2020. Now 16009. What a great bike. I have to admit guys. This bike covers most of bases well and as you customize to your liking its really tough to beat. Especially if you factor in dollars per km.

Registered
Ive owned over 100 bikes, Ive had my 2009 klr 650 for over 10 years now and no plans to sell, a record for me. Ive done a lot, mostly suspension in fact ive changed and reworked or improved almost every major component quitting the ones that didn't work and when the trail turns sandy or steep and loose I still suffer and when its 95 on the interstate I still suffer everything else in between is pretty darn good. maybe Ive sunk $5k in mods into my $3k KLR and most would think that's crazy but this klr still puts mores miles on per mile than anything this side of the racetrack, and its never stranded me! 85000 miles and counting!

Water Water resources Ecoregion Bedrock Watercourse

Registered
My first "Adventure" bike was a Green Honda CT Trail 70 when I was 9 years old. Man, did I have a lot of adventures in those days. You could hardly pry me off that minibike but maybe to eat dinner. 馃ぃ馃槀
Yeah I had a 1970 Ct70 bought new I was the same way! My Dad liscenced it so I could throw newspapers off it! If he knew how far I rode it on blacktops out of town he would have it wouldnt be good! Traded it and 400 for a lil Suzy Gn125 5 years ago he restored it. Have since moved up to a KLR650 2011 !!

Registered
Every time I turn around I think about getting something faster. M109, Concourse etc. But the KLR just does everything I ask. Road trip, flog through the woods, drag logs, fly flags, drag Antifas etc this is my KLR my KLR is Amazing!!!
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

61 - 80 of 118 Posts