Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
The KLR won't pull 5th gear, what good would 6th be?
On the road, my 22 Adventure really feels the best in 5th gear and pulls it fine. Acceleration is terrific from 50-80 mph, but even cruising at 60-70 would feel much smoother and more relaxed with a 6th gear for sure. On level roads, I am usually in 5th by 40 mph or so,

·
Registered
787 Posts
The KLR won't pull 5th gear, what good would 6th be?
What do you mean won't pull 5th? It may not scream to redline or anything. 80ish MPH is what the engine is comfortably capable of pushing the Pig. 0-80 can be done fairly authoritatively in 1-4th gear. 6,000rpm is about all the engine can pull and will consume oil as much as gas but I have cruised 85-90mph through a tank of gas. Trying to maintain anything over 5,000rpm is pretty much abuse. I'll probably go to a 17 tooth for normal riding and keep the 14 tooth handy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Regarding the OP, I totally get the point of view. I have a `94 Harley Road King in my garage. I bought it on a whim in January and have been wrenching on it ever since. When it runs, it is fun as hell to ride. It is loud, obnoxious, comfortable, and gets tons of thumbs up from cagers and pedestrians.

I bought the KLR so I could take the fun of riding on the street, and expand it to the fun of exploring the mountains. I wanted to re-create the fun of riding 100cc dirt bikes 40 years ago, and combine with being comfortable on the 25 mile ride from my house to the woods.

What I have discovered so far, is that the KLR is mediocre at everything. Of course, that is it's mission; to boldly go where other bikes have gone, but to do it poorly.

I still haven't given up on it. Hoping that better tires and more seat time will make things more acceptable. But I have had far more smiles per mile on my Harley for half the cost.

·
Registered
135 Posts
As my 22 Adventure is rather tall for me to the point that I lack confidence off road, yet I don't want to have it lowered, it has become a 98% Street bike. It is loads of fun on the road, handles amazingly for what it is, is quite comfortable, gets great mileage and range, desperately needs a 6th gear but way more often than not, has me smiling. 45-70 mph is wonderful and at that point, one could be fooled into thinking that it has at least a reasonable amount of horsepower, At those speeds, torque seems to be abundant and the ride is fun.

While almost everyone is looking for better off road tires, I often wonder what this thing would be like with somewhat of a more street oriented tire...

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Regarding the OP, I totally get the point of view. I have a `94 Harley Road King in my garage. I bought it on a whim in January and have been wrenching on it ever since. When it runs, it is fun as hell to ride. It is loud, obnoxious, comfortable, and gets tons of thumbs up from cagers and pedestrians.

I bought the KLR so I could take the fun of riding on the street, and expand it to the fun of exploring the mountains. I wanted to re-create the fun of riding 100cc dirt bikes 40 years ago, and combine with being comfortable on the 25 mile ride from my house to the woods.

What I have discovered so far, is that the KLR is mediocre at everything. Of course, that is it's mission; to boldly go where other bikes have gone, but to do it poorly.

I still haven't given up on it. Hoping that better tires and more seat time will make things more acceptable. But I have had far more smiles per mile on my Harley for half the cost.
And just to prove everyone is different; I've had twice the fun riding my KLRs as my Harley which cost twice what both KLR's cost including all my mods. 😆

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought 2 harleys during pandemic. Road glide and sportster. Rode to sturgis. Modified them. And realized I didn’t care for the, at all. Love what the brand represents and the history but I’ll take a klr any day over a fancy harley.
And I think klr has enough power for long highway riding. Did Chicago to panhandle in 2 long days and found zero problems at all. My tiger would have been more comfortable but not my road glide I don’t think.
Love the klr and it’s not about the good price. It’s just enough to do it all and I really enjoy that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What do you mean won't pull 5th? It may not scream to redline or anything. 80ish MPH is what the engine is comfortably capable of pushing the Pig. 0-80 can be done fairly authoritatively in 1-4th gear. 6,000rpm is about all the engine can pull and will consume oil as much as gas but I have cruised 85-90mph through a tank of gas. Trying to maintain anything over 5,000rpm is pretty much abuse. I'll probably go to a 17 tooth for normal riding and keep the 14 tooth handy.
I mean it won't pull redline in 5th gear, so gearing it up means it will pull less rpms in 5th. If you shift at the rev limiter 1-4 you will not be able to hit redline in 5th stock gearing.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange KLR650
24 Posts
I had not ridden in about 5 years, until I bought the KLR I'd wanted since '87. My '22 is now my daily commuter and I'm sad when I don't get to ride it, I LOVE this bike. It is exactly what I expected it to be, does everything ask of it and will take me anywhere I want to go.... eventually.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts