Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on removing the rear sub-fender and changing the front fender to something more appealing. I have a rear rack mounted hard case. How much extra water spray can I expect? Can anyone suggest more appealing front and rear fenders?

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
Water spray from what?

Rain? You want all the fender you can get, and you want the front fender mounted low.

Stream crossing? Doesn't matter, it's going to be pushed away from you and the only thing that is going to get wet is your feet. Not much you can do about it except lift your feet.

There really isn't any rear fender replacement for either Gen without going extreme towards the motocross look. Useless as boobs on a boar.

For the front fender you could consider something like a Cycra SuperMoto or similar from Acerbis. "More appealing" may depend on what Gen you have. Looks don't matter much to me, but I think the Gen 1 looks a bit odd with a supermoto fender.

I ride a fair amount in the rain. I have removed the inner fender at the rear and don't have any problem; I also have a hard box on the tail. In the front I use a UFO SuperBike fender, which, of course, is mounted low.

When I know that I will be off-road I swap the fender out for a high-mounted Cycra SuperMoto.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry, Gen 2, 2014 for primarily rain water. I don’t ride a ton in the rain and don’t go above 60 if I do. Thanks for the replies. I’d like a more modern rear MX look but it sounds like I’d get soaked. Anybody ever try it?

On the front I too don’t prefer the supermoto look on this particular bike or the low mount especially since I’ll be running 50/50 tires and want an MX look. I think the stocker is too wide and thick and looks like I hit a tree and kinked the leading edge down. The length doesn’t bother me as much. I was thinking a modern MX front fender would be an improvement in looks but I can’t find many pictures. Anybody have pictures with a KX450F or similar fender in place and how is the rain spray? I have seen the smaller Polisport and KTM fenders. I searched for pictures with a modern MX fender but couldn’t find much.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Fender Options

Stock fender mtd. low, with Eagle Mike brace.
FWIW:

Reactions: consipio

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have done the rear fender delete and did not notice any difference. It was easy to do, looks better, and has had no negative impact. I have now also replaced the front fender with a Cycra SuperMoto fender. It's smaller and you'll get more spray, but it has not presented any problems for me. The spray I do notice is off and up to the sides where it doesn't bother me. I installed the Cycra SuperMoto because it improved the stability of my KLR at highway speeds at and in excess of around 75mph. Many folks have argued with me about that, but there is no question that I had a wobble around and above 75mph with the stock fender that completely went away with the Cycra SuperMoto installed. So, it may be specific to my motorcycle, but that was my experience after checking everything else on my KLR.

If you really want to address spray, lowering the front fender is the way to go. There are lots of examples on this forum of that with the stock and other fenders.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have done the rear fender delete and did not notice any difference. It was easy to do, looks better, and has had no negative impact. I have now also replaced the front fender with a Cycra SuperMoto fender. It's smaller and you'll get more spray, but it has not presented any problems for me. The spray I do notice is off and up to the sides where it doesn't bother me. I installed the Cycra SuperMoto because it improved the stability of my KLR at highway speeds at and in excess of around 75mph. Many folks have argued with me about that, but there is no question that I had a wobble around and above 75mph with the stock fender that completely went away with the Cycra SuperMoto installed. So, it may be specific to my motorcycle, but that was my experience after checking everything else on my KLR.

If you really want to address spray, lowering the front fender is the way to go. There are lots of examples on this forum of that with the stock and other fenders.
Can you fire up a pic for me?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was having some trouble getting the pictures to upload. So, let me know if they don't show up here and I'll try again.

I was sort of lazy about this and just took pictures of the bike in the garage, but I did try to get multiple angles for you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
NEED MORE PICS!!!

THIS...

IS MY REAR FENDER DELETE!

NIIIIICE, HUH!!!

Yeh, that's the way I bought it!!!
And Fender/Rack/InnerFender are all replaced (eBay... CHEAP if patient), just awaiting final TBL (TrukBedLiner) and Install.
I did cut the InnerFender backAbit so the BackTar won't 'catch and eat the license tag' on a big jump (ANOTHER KLRForum.com TIP!!!).

I have to say that I am a fan of OEM and the fact that most Manufacturers knowing far more than me (despite DOT and EPA and, And, AND having their say in 'standard' equipment as well), so I tend not to 'tear out' OEM too often, like on the InnerFender? Keep/Delete/Cut way back... I go for 'Keep' with a mod to account for this bike's ability to occasionally crunch the tag in a perfect storm. I'm pretty sure with deleted and kept 'InnerFenders' we'll end up with the same results, buuuuut just in case the InnerFender does INDEED perform a necessary function, I'll keep it.

I'll try to remember THIS Thread to bring the updated photo in as well... just need the Bike back together!
SOON!!!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Like how they modded the InnerFender to house the TailLight and then just schlapped it up there???
It was rear ended (SubFrame welded, nicely, back together, and to spec) and the DPO just pillaged his broken equipment to 'get back on the Road'.
I aaaaaaaaaalmost walked away from this CraigsListBike just based on looks alone.

Then I rode it down the skreet and just had to have it (price was right, too)!!!
And as much as I don't need no more Projects, this one was been very fulfilling to work on!
Added Bonus is that "I know the condition of my Machine"; that sure wasn't the case after week one of Ownership!!!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
My take on this since I like dirt.
A low fender is good for rain.
Rain and dirt make mud.
A low fender is bad for mud.
I go with the high fender.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I went ahead and deleted the rear sub-fender, license plate light and the holder. I drilled the rear fender and mounted the plate right up against the lower edge of the brake light. You will be happy to know that between the fender delete and the snorkelectomy I subtracted 2.25 pounds.

The difference is startling. The bike positively leaps out of corners now and I have to shift my ass back in the seat for traction to compensate for the weight loss. That and the guys from work don’t tell me as much that I look like I’m going out to deliver newspapers.

Now to start on that pesky front fender. I grin at the thought of the power wheelies from the ounces saved.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Arrrgggg. I went to post my grand finale pictures of the rear fender delete and I got a message that I exceeded the allowable attachment limit!!! Mods please help get me more space. It will revolutionize KLR styling.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I don't post pics. But I think the system is only limited to 5 pics per individual post.

So you just need to edit your immediate posting to attach your 6th pic. I think. :)

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
Paul is right.

If you make another post you can add five pictures to it.

If you set up a picture hosting account at imgur, smugmug, flickr, etc (just not Google. Please, not Google!) you can embed the photos in the post with a limit of 9 or 10 pictures per post.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Paul is right.

If you make another post you can add five pictures to it.

If you set up a picture hosting account at imgur, smugmug, flickr, etc (just not Google. Please, not Google!) you can embed the photos in the post with a limit of 9 or 10 pictures per post.
Unless imgur, smugmug, flicker, etc follow PhotoBuckets lead and start charging an arm & a leg for the service, correct?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was having some trouble getting the pictures to upload. So, let me know if they don't show up here and I'll try again.

I was sort of lazy about this and just took pictures of the bike in the garage, but I did try to get multiple angles for you.
Consipio: That looks great! I was wondering what brand/where you got that crash guard, skidplate and exhaust. Good looking bike :doublethumb:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to agree. That red color scheme is much nicer than my flat black, gray and green getup. That exhaust is sweet too but I have a bit of a cheap bone in me so it probably won’t happen. Do you find that headlight guard limits the light output at all?

As far as adding extra pics I was more than half kidding. It wouldn’t take much to imagine a plate bolted to a fender. Nothing revolutionary here.

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
Unless imgur, SmugMug, flicker, etc follow PhotoBuckets lead and start charging an arm & a leg for the service, correct?
That is correct. The difference is that Photobucket was a stand-alone company trying to make a go of things based on selling ads. It didn't work and they peed thier pants and came out with some outrageous $400 plan to do image hosting. They have since rethought things and I believe they now have competitive subscription plans, but the trust is gone and the brand is tainted. I think they shot both of their feet off and are standing around on bloody ankle stumps with nothing but their dick in their hand.

Flickr, for a long time, has been a part of Yahoo! and has benefitted from their ad revenue and some business synergies. SmugMug seems to have been fairly successful with their "reasonable subscription" business model; successful enough to buy flickr. I have some faith that flickr/SmugMug will be around for a while and won't implode like PhotoBucket did.

However, SmugMug has been a subscription service at something like ~$70/year for a basic subscription. flickr has always had a free plan as well as a pro plan. SmugMug has no free plan.

As a flickr user with a free plan, I wonder if I am going to get to the point where SmugMug tells me that I have to pay. I suspect so.

imgur, dunno, seems an odd medium.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts