Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride 99.7% on road. Never any serious offroad. How often should I be cleaning the air filter?

·
Registered
116 Posts
not often enough. I think every couple thousand miles is recommended, unless you live in dusty conditions, then it's probably every couple weeks. That's one of the things I just don't think about until it's almost too late. I'm still trying to get used to pro-active maintenance thinking, which is mandatory if you ride on two wheels.
Four wheels are a lot more forgiving.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I check mine when I change oil. The air filter usually gets dirtier on the back side because of where the air enters.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have cleaned mine once and used gear oil to saturate it. Clymer recommends oil made for filters. Anyone know a good brand or specific type? The stuff that was on it was kind of reddish and real sticky.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
The idea is to lightly oil the foam so it will capture the dirt. Too heavy of oil and you can restrict the air flow and create a rich A/F mixture.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Dan,

I installed a K&N years ago and clean it at the beginning of the riding season. Just take a look and if it looks dirty you know what to do. Get out your Magnum and pump it full of lead dude. You'll feel better after you do it.

Ardster

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ard, you're back! Let me guess, tranquil days spent outdoing Thoreau? Something that will make me want to say screw work, grab my rods and the girls and leave "civilization" once and for all?!?!? Pictures at least?!?!

I know this isn't the same as catching a giant trout on a fly you tied, but I caught the biggest bluegill I've seen in real life a few weeks ago. Monster. Substantially bigger than my hand and twice as thick (I have big hands).

·
Registered
507 Posts
Dan,

It is not important what kind of fish you catch or even that you catch any that matters. What matters is that something drives you to go to the water and wash out your mind.

"They call it fishing, not catching"

Ard

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Am I doing it wrong? I've always cleaned my foam filters with gasoline from a container for the lawnmower. (I know I know, but I always do it outside the shop and have never had one fall apart). After drying I soak in the same motor oil used for the crankcase, wring out all I can then wring again in paper towels.

I bought a UNI a while back with the OEM and keep one or the other in rotation so I always have one ready to go at each oil change. I don't notice any difference between the two performance wise. The Kawi seals pretty good, others I put a bead of grease around the seal area.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Ya mean ya halfta clean it?

Haven't gotten one yet but I like the K&N unit. (he said unit)
cause ya bang out the dirt once a year and that's about it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I clean mine at least once a month, sometimes twice a month. I cover a lot of miles and have over 35,000 miles on my '08 and have had no problems with fuel or carburetor issues. I use gasoline to clean it, next to the heater, where I keep matches, by the candles, next to the propane and propane accessories, where the kids play with the spray paint. I like to get snot slingin', fallin' down blind ass drunk first. Works for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I picked up my K&N air filter at my autoparts store. I believe they ordered it from K&N. The part number is KA-6589, my bike is a `08 KLR650. So I am wondering if this is ready to go out of the box. It appears it has been oiled so I assume they are pre-oiled. Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I picked up my K&N air filter at my autoparts store. I believe they ordered it from K&N. The part number is KA-6589, my bike is a `08 KLR650. So I am wondering if this is ready to go out of the box. It appears it has been oiled so I assume they are pre-oiled. Anyone know?
New K&N filter are good to go out of the box. Look at how much it is oiled and try and repeat that when recharging the clean filter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok good advice...I`ll get a good mental picture of the "look" of the filter when I do the install.The top of the box says: "Use 0.3 fl-oz (9ml) K&N oil when servicing filter" I will get a kit soon for cleaning...I`m sure it will have instructions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts