Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying an exhaust system. I would like to know how often do you need to repack the muffler. thanks

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
new-

If I recall correctly, my long-gone SuperTrapp was supposed to be repacked about every 20 hours.

Seemed excessive to me, but they do get loud when the packing wears out.

Some people use a stainless packing. I never tried the real thing, but did try using some stainless steel pot scrubbers.

I think if you look up "epic fail" in Wikipedia there is a picture of the aftermath of that particular shenanigan...

T

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TOM i really want a maintenace free muffler but the dollars are not there.:46:

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
new-

If you want maintanence free and inexpensive, and have some fab skills, consider using a GSXR pipe.

It is quite a popular mod with the DR650 crowd, but as far as I know there's only one KLR in the known universe with a gixxer pipe. :^)

It works well, is light weight, legally quiet, but does require some rejetting (most any pipe will)

T

·
Registered
257 Posts
i had an old school SuperTrapp, the megaphone shaped one. Had it on a 250xr for maybe 8 years and only repacked one time after about the first year, when I was still anal about keeping the bike in near new condition. Never packed it again after that and it never seemed to get much louder the new.
But that was on a 250, don't know about a 650?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts