Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't worry ladies I covered my eye's before I entered! :c00178

How tall are you? My wife is 5'6" and I was thinking I could let her use the KLR650...I was thinking about just getting her a different one, but I already have the KLR and a XR650R.

Right now when she sits on it she is on her tip toes, but I figure with a lowering link it would be fine as far as height goes and maybe a lower seat. She currently rides a Harley Sportster so she is not new to the motorcycle game, she would just be new to the dual sport thing. So I guess my concern is the overall weight and handling. Do any of you lady folk have any insightful information for me?

Thanks in advance!

Elmer

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm 5'6" ish-not quite 5'7" I have two inch lowering links on mine and ride it everywhere comfortably. I rode it for a few weeks stock and managed fine--she would too since she already has some experience. I still ride the hubby's stock to pick it up from the shop ,etc. when he is working . It does have that better sense of control with the lowering links though where you can get more of both feet on the ground--I definitely wouldn't want to single track or rough terrain it stock-just not enough footing to be able to handle it well. I also have the flat corbin seat--I tried the dish and didn't find it comfortable even though it lowers you considerably it also restricts you moving around as far as scooting back and forth to change up a little for your butt. If she rides a sportster she'll love this--I gave my sportster up 20 some years ago and started back up on my KLR after a long sabbatical and haven't looked back :mrgreen: Good Luck---Kay

·
Registered
331 Posts
OOOHHHHH duh-Mike hadn't logged out and I didn't pay any attention----blonde moment--used his ID---he'll love that---- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DantesDame said:
I'm a hair shy of 6'. There is no bike too tall for me :-D
Hmmmm.....and you live in Washington.......are you sure you aren't one of those Bigfoots....or should it be Bigfeets if it plural?

Sorry...I couldn't resist I am 6'5" and 280lbs and get mistaken for Bigfoot all the time!

Elmer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
klrmike said:
I'm 5'6" ish-not quite 5'7" I have two inch lowering links on mine and ride it everywhere comfortably. I rode it for a few weeks stock and managed fine--she would too since she already has some experience. I still ride the hubby's stock to pick it up from the shop ,etc. when he is working . It does have that better sense of control with the lowering links though where you can get more of both feet on the ground--I definitely wouldn't want to single track or rough terrain it stock-just not enough footing to be able to handle it well. I also have the flat corbin seat--I tried the dish and didn't find it comfortable even though it lowers you considerably it also restricts you moving around as far as scooting back and forth to change up a little for your butt. If she rides a sportster she'll love this--I gave my sportster up 20 some years ago and started back up on my KLR after a long sabbatical and haven't looked back :mrgreen: Good Luck---Kay
Thanks for the info.

With the 2" lowering link are you flat footed? I was thinking the 3" but would rather use the 2" if possible.

Elmer

·
Registered
331 Posts
2 inches will do everything she needs--3 inches if they even make them will most definitely give her some clearance problems--nothing is worse than Mike dragging me out some single track and has to come back and get me because I have high centered on something--that's happened a couple times at 2 inches lower--3 would be a nightmare. I have even thought about changing to a 1 inch to get some of my clearance back--but then maybe my husband drags me places you won't drag her :razz: :razz: Kay
Oh, and by the way I'm almost flat footed on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts