Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rookie Carl here. Can I use a dishwashing detergent such as Dawn to clean my air filter? I bought some JP-1 filter lube, so know that I need to let it dry and lube, but can "generic" detergents work?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Yes you can rinse real good with clean water get all soap out let dry.:character00271:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Very true. Personally, I drop mine in some kerosene and LET IT DRY COMPLETELY and then oil it up. Lazy man's approach.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
rookie Carl here. Can I use a dishwashing detergent such as Dawn to clean my air filter? I bought some JP-1 filter lube, so know that I need to let it dry and lube, but can "generic" detergents work?
That's how I do it.. I use dishwasher detergent, cleaning the filter twice and rinsing well.. Let dry and use air filter oil, as it's sticky and won't migrate to the bottom of the filter during use.

I always have a spare on hand so I can have a clean one ready to go when it's time.. I toss in the clean filter and button up the bike..

Then I clean the dirty filter, dry, oil and store it in a gallon ziplock bag so it's ready for the next time.. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Awesome info! So how often am I supposed to clean my air filter? I only ask seeing as you guys with the experience do everything more often or different timing to the manuals.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Been washing my '08's filter monthly or so with gasoline for 3 years now with no issue. I oil it up with the cheap 30 weight from the cheap store. 43,000 miles so far.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Been washing my '08's filter monthly or so with gasoline for 3 years now with no issue. I oil it up with the cheap 30 weight from the cheap store. 43,000 miles so far.

Technology marches on, that's the way I used to clean and oil 35 years ago.

There's better stuff now that's much easier to use, works better and is not hazardous to use and dispose of.

No-Toil is probably the most popular (by far) with dirt bikers.

·
Registered
272 Posts
how to clean air filters

solvent or such to cut the old oil, then hot soapy water to get rid of latent solvent, then hot water rinse to get rid of the soap, then air dry completely. Never blow with compressed air!
then proper foam filter oil is better than engine oil, then grease the sealing lip.
As stated above, keep a spare serviced and ready to pop in.
that's how I do it.
I have a no toil kit but have yet to use it. I keep doing it the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
solvent or such to cut the old oil, then hot soapy water to get rid of latent solvent, then hot water rinse to get rid of the soap, then air dry completely. Never blow with compressed air!
then proper foam filter oil is better than engine oil, then grease the sealing lip.
As stated above, keep a spare serviced and ready to pop in.
that's how I do it.
I have a no toil kit but have yet to use it. I keep doing it the old fashioned way.
Sounds very familiar, that's the same way I always did our dirt bike filters. Beings I'm new to the KLR I have some relearning to do. Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just cleaned mine for the first time. Probably should have been like the 6th time, over 10,000 miles. But it always ran great. I washed with dish soap and it cleaned up almost like new. I’ll see what my local bike dealer has and re-oil it.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
simple green rocks, good for the whole bike also
+1 My Dad was in the Navy and they used that shit for EVERYTHING. I gargle with it sometimes. (That was a joke, don't try it)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mineral spirits followed by soapy water is what I've found to be the best. The filter looks brand new after each cleaning.

Afterwards spray it with air filter oil, put it into a ziplock bag, scrunch it up to spread the oil around evenly, and reinstall.

·
Lifetime Member
2,481 Posts
I use Oxy Clean powder dissolved in hot water and nitrile gloves to clean mine. Seems to work well, then I hit it with red NoToil when it's dry. I love that stuff! (NOT! READ BELOW)

Edit: Lol, I'm not so happy with this system now since it dissolved all the glue on my factory filter and left me KLR'less for a week of my vacation! The alcohol based (red) No-Toil will dissolve the glue on stock and some other filters (I've heard of TwinAir filters being ruined as well). This was confirmed by No-Toil themselves in an email to me. They recommended either switching over to No-Toil air filter elements or using their new "Evolution" water based filter oil. I guess the alcohol based oil won't eat the No-Toil elements so you can use it on them. I like the biodegradable spin, don't care much for ruined filters or having to wait overnight for the water based oil to tack up enough to reinstall the filter.

So, I guess my new (old) regime will be cleaning the filter and then reoiling it with regular filter oil. I used Belray oil for years and years and never had any problems. It's the blue stuff you pour on and then squish around, not the spray though. I've never tried the spray.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
lol i think i am the least picky among us all, i have used gas, mineral spirits, dish soap to clean it and to relube i have used motoroil, wd40, chain spray(not wax) and a multitude of other stuff, as long as it works i dont care.

·
Registered
171 Posts
how do you oil the filter after cleaning? just soak in oil then squeeze out the excess and let it sit?... for how long?

doesnt the oil makes the particles and dirt stick and clogg it? or is that the point? so it catches everything?

what's a good filter out there, i read the kn&n did not do a good job for the KLR650 filter.

thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts