Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider with short legs and has a problem with dragging my foot over seat unless I stand on the left foot peg while getting on/off. I don't want to lower the suspension and loose ground clearance. Is there a way get on easier? How do guys do it after adding a rear box? 5' 10'' with a klr650.

Jokes are ok, but I still need some good ideas.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Standing on the peg is a perfectly acceptable way to mount and dismount your KLR, especially with a topbox or panniers mounted. I'm 5'9" (32" inseam) with stock suspension and I'm able to sling my leg over from the ground while only occasionally grazing the panniers with my boot. I just keep my knee bent to clear the top box. I know some that hop on with one leg up and swing it over the tank, I just don't have to coordination to pull that off without falling on my ass though!

So basically, it's whatever works best for you... The peg method is fine though, lot's of people mount up that way. :doublethumb:

·
Registered
901 Posts
I've got a bit of a "step, raise, grab the leg at the ankle" with my right hand and help the leg over the seat method...

Looks kinda funny, but it works.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I got a trunk so I step on the peg every time I get off or on. Up and over. :bike:

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I also mount using the footpeg like a stirrup on a horse.

Early on after getting the KLR I'd read some reports of the bolts breaking/stripping there and replaced the OEM bolts with grade 12.9. Not sure if the local hardware stores will have them.....I have a buddy that works for Fastenall and he brought me four of them. Also replaced the pivot pins with SAE grade 8 shoulder bolts. Loc-tite blue on everthing.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
My gas tank is all scratched up from my boots scraping it during my oafish attempts to do kind of a "hurdler" mount.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i am 6'3 and i have a bad back and my tendons are like bow strings so quite often step on the peg while mounting the bike. as long as i know its in gear and on stable ground.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm 5'11 and just put a top case on. I'll be dealing with the same issues. Foot peg seems like the way to go

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Bending your knee when mounting up with a topcase makes a huge difference, then it's not necessary to swing you leg over the case. I oftentimes bang my boot on the right pannier though ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts