Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new riding in California, and, the problem I have here, is with traffic lights.
Well, to turn left, there is a specific lane, but, it look like this lane should never go to the green light untill someone is on this lane.
So with my car, it work well, but with my KLR, I have to wait untill a car come on my side or behin me before the light turn green.
Is there something to do, to make this light green with a bike??

·
Registered
177 Posts
Kickstand down on the cut in the pavement.
Hit the start button, sometimes the rf from the start motor works.
Change position in the lane.
After a couple of cycles, look and carefully go, the signal is malfuctioning "for your vehicle".

60 years in CA

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, what DonD said. Also, sometimes I scoot up and wave the car behind me forward so it will trigger the light (if there is a car). Most cages seem to understand. Go figure.

There is also a device (magnet?) that you can put on the bottom of your bike which will trip the light...not worth it in my mind. I agree...if you have been through a few cycles of the light, no cop is going to write you a ticket for turning through. And if they do you can fight it and win.

·
Registered
25 Posts
neodymium magnets

I was told these will work. I saw them at a local hardware store this weekend they cost like $4 bucks.. Haven't tried it yet but supposedly they let off a large enough magnetic field to kick the light switch so to say...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I tried the sidestand down trick the other day, felt a little wierd, but the light cycled.
wahoo!!!!
I did not use the crack though.
This all seems a little superstitious.
like rattling chicken bones.

let's see, stand down, get off the bike, run around it three times to the left....
stand at attention, flip visor up and down twice get back on bike,
then a car pulls up and triggers the light for you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Feds say treat it as a malfunctioning light. Stop, look and proceed when clear.
If it's a light I know from erperience does not change, I don't wait for it to go through more than one cycle.If it's a light that you hit everyday, call and complain.

For what it's worth, Motorcycle Consumer News didn't have much luck with those magnets sold at mc shops.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some lights will cycle when they detect flashing lights, (for emergency vehicles) so change your headlight back and forth from bright to dim as you approach the red light.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actaually I think they ar weight based pads. If I have a passenger or my tour boxes on the light works. But not on my own. Some are motion sensor, some ar weight (the ground will have lines cut in it.) Emergency vehicles just go the light doesn't change except by coincidence I believe. My dad worked for the city. Add more weight or try the kicke stand thing, I believe it is probably by vibration not rf.lights would be going nuts from radios and stuff.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Actaually I think they ar weight based pads. If I have a passenger or my tour boxes on the light works. But not on my own. Some are motion sensor, some ar weight (the ground will have lines cut in it.) Emergency vehicles just go the light doesn't change except by coincidence I believe. My dad worked for the city. Add more weight or try the kicke stand thing, I believe it is probably by vibration not rf.lights would be going nuts from radios and stuff.
Our emergency vehicles have a strobe light which they activate when approaching a light, most traffic signal masts have a little light sensor (it looks like a camera) that detects the strobe and changes the light cycle to allow the vehicle to pass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loop detector

I know the thread is a bit old but I just joined the forum. I work for Clark County NV. as a Maintenance. Supervisor and have some experience with this.
What you have is a NON-controlled intersection (by computer) with a LOOP DETECTOR and not a pad or motion sensor. (Some intersections do have an additional device to pick up the strobe from emergency vehicles, but it is doubtful you can trip it w/ your headlight when stopped at the intersection.)
Go to this LINK FOR SOME GREAT INFO ABOUT THIS PROBLEM .

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/loopMay07.pdf

Loop detectors are three loops of 12- or 14-gauge copper wire,
buried 3" under the pavement. An electrical current is sent through the loop, making it an electromagnet.
Once a car or motorcycle drives over the loop, the metal on the vehicle’s underside causes a disturbance in the magnetic field, tripping the detector and sending a signal to the traffic light to turn green. This is why motorcycles may not trip the light; KLR's being even worse due to their ground clearance.
Surprisingly, the most sensitive area in a loop is not directly above the wire, but about a foot away, either on the inside or on the outside. (This is why putting your kickstand down inside the loop and not on the crack worked.) Also as mentioned the starter trick may work to disrupt the magnetic field.
You may try to contact you municipality’s maintenance department and ask them to check the loop although most are not that cooperative. The loops are adjustable for sensitivity, deteriorate with time and are often damage with street repairs or repaving.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
In Indiana it's a hex-cut in the pavement about 4 feet across and
is a big metal detector. I rarely trip these and cop dude told me to
wait AT LEAST 60 seconds, then treat it as a stop sign if a car hasn't
tripped the detector by then.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i just run it and promise the cops i'll stop twice at the next one (or turn right, whip a u-turn and then go through the green light while cursing the red one)!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Get off the bike and push the walk button!
And what if there is no walk button??

I have an intersection 3 blocks from my house that I have to go through every day and there's no walk button..

Luckily, there's usually traffic that trips it for me, but when there's not, I wait a bit, look both ways and treat it as a stop sign..

I've complained to the township traffic but it's still set incorrectly, and I can't even trip it with my Goldwing..

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is always a quick but interesting discussion during my motorcycle riding instruction classes. After my co-instructor was challenged by a student who was employed as a litigator, I did some research on this subject so that I could properly cite the laws (or ignorance thereof) during future classes.

Some states allow you to turn left on a red light after a given amount of time. Illinois does NOT allow you to run a left turn red, no matter how long you have been sitting there. Basically, no law is written in the books, therefore it is not allowed. Wisconsin, however, allows you to turn left on a red after 45 seconds.

Wisconsin Statutes 346.37 - Traffic-control signal legend

346.37(1)(c)4.
4. Notwithstanding subd. 1., a motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle facing a red signal at an intersection may, after stopping as required under subd. 1. for not less than 45 seconds, proceed cautiously through the intersection before the signal turns green if no other vehicles are present at the intersection to actuate the signal and the operator of the motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle reasonably believes the signal is vehicle actuated.​

If in doubt, better to turn right and do a legal u-turn, or continue to another intersection where you can turn left, than tempt the law. (Not that I don't break it every so often....)

·
Registered
127 Posts
flashing lights

Thanks for the tip about the flashing lights. I have one light that I get stuck at while going to work everyday. I'll have to try it.

The worst part is that it's a left-turning light, and cars fill the other two lanes, the light goes green, they all go, I'm still there, the next set of cars come, my turning light stays red, and then that next set of cars gets green and goes as well. I keep thinking they're like: good luck buddy, see ya! :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Feds say treat it as a malfunctioning light. Stop, look and proceed when clear.
State of Wisconsin says this too. You must wait approximately 40 seconds and if it's obvious that the lights are not reacting to your cycle you may proceed when clear.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts