Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sorry for posting yet another thread! Due to the damage around the plug, every machine shop has recommended taking the engine off of the bike and taking it apart. I have changed the doohickey and that's the extend of my work on the engine. Does anyone have any experience taking the engine complete off (and splitting the crank case)?? If so, do you know of any forum and/or instructions to do this? Lastly, are there any special tools required to complete this job?? I was hoping I could do this without getting a ton of special tools...

I am thinking about possibly splitting the crank case and replacing the left case with a used one from ebay. I heard they were usually sold in pairs; do you know if this replacement would be possible. Here is the link to the case on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KL...Parts_Accessories&hash=item41575dc281&vxp=mtr

Any help on this would be sooo thankful! Thank you!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
. Splitting the cases does require a special crank holding tool. If I remember correctly the cases come as a set and should not used with another half.
I was afraid of that! Special tools cost extra (booo).
So, the left side of the case wont work with my existing right side? I am having some problems finding a full case that isn't a fortune! Dang it!
I guess worst case, I could have a machine shop try to do some work once the case is off...

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I was afraid of that! Special tools cost extra (booo).
So, the left side of the case wont work with my existing right side? I am having some problems finding a full case that isn't a fortune! Dang it!
I guess worst case, I could have a machine shop try to do some work once the case is off...
Get in touch with Wymanwinn over on the other forum. He does a lot of tech day type stuff. He might know of a set cases or for sure could give you advice. You have to be a member there to follow that link :50:

Here's contact info from his sig if you're not: Personal Tech Days...call 805-eight-nine-five-5114...DO NOT TEXT!!!

You will need a case splitter tool to seperate the cases. Rocky Mt. has this one You will also have to hold the clutch basket to get the nut off there's a tool for that but it's not hard to improvise. Need to pull the rotor of course but you've done the doo. Also you may need a crank install tool don't know I haven't done a KLR. Again Wymanwinn would be the guy to ask.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for the information... I will contact him about it. I am having problems getting my hands on casing or an engine. I will try to hunt down these tools as well, I hope.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am about to start my project today. I will be taking lots of pictures, I am sure! I will either be changing out the cases (ahhhh! :50:) or attempting a JB Weld kind of fix :)29:)....

A thought came to mind though. While the engine is off, is this a good time to consider possibly doing a 685 mod? If so, what is the idea of doing this mod (I am not too familiar with the pros/cons of doing this)? Also, IF this mod is done, is there any other changes to the bike that would need to be made? Thanks everyone!!

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
I am about to start my project today.
Good luck, man. Hope whatever route you choose works for you.

If I recall correctly, you thought this was probably caused by a rock strike? Did you have the stock "skid plate" on when this happened? If so, did you get an aftermarket metal one to put on when you're done with your repair?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck, man. Hope whatever route you choose works for you.

If I recall correctly, you thought this was probably caused by a rock strike? Did you have the stock "skid plate" on when this happened? If so, did you get an aftermarket metal one to put on when you're done with your repair?
I am actually looking at buying and installing the "PD Nerf plus Skid Plate" from Happy Trails. I think that should add the extra skid plate protection, foot peg convenience, and shroud protection? I hope.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
I am actually looking at buying and installing the "PD Nerf plus Skid Plate" from Happy Trails. I think that should add the extra skid plate protection, foot peg convenience, and shroud protection? I hope.
That's the package I put on mine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the package I put on mine.
Does it seem like a good one? I have seen it on some KLRs and it looks pretty good...
I am also debating on whether I should contact EagleMike for a 685 kit while I have it off, or just stick with what I got..

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Does it seem like a good one? I have seen it on some KLRs and it looks pretty good...
I am also debating on whether I should contact EagleMike for a 685 kit while I have it off, or just stick with what I got..
I like the skid plate. The bars, eh. They work, but if I had it to do over again, I would probably go with another brand when it comes to the bars. I've never seen any other bars in person, but they all seem me to be better-looking and probably have a better attachment system than the HD bars.

I must admit I really like the highway pegs, though. The HT package is nice because it all works together.

I have no real opinion on the 685 kit. The little guy on my left shoulder says, "If there's no need, such as excessive oil consumption, why bother?" The guy on my right shoulder says, "Hey, if you've got the money to blow, why not do it just for the hell of it?"

Note: By using the term "money to blow" I don't mean to insinuate that I think the 685 kit is a waste of money: just a term for money you've got that you won't miss if you spend it, you know?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the skid plate. The bars, eh. They work, but if I had it to do over again, I would probably go with another brand when it comes to the bars. I've never seen any other bars in person, but they all seem me to be better-looking and probably have a better attachment system than the HD bars.

I must admit I really like the highway pegs, though. The HT package is nice because it all works together.

I have no real opinion on the 685 kit. The little guy on my left shoulder says, "If there's no need, such as excessive oil consumption, why bother?" The guy on my right shoulder says, "Hey, if you've got the money to blow, why not do it just for the hell of it?"

Note: By using the term "money to blow" I don't mean to insinuate that I think the 685 kit is a waste of money: just a term for money you've got that you won't miss if you spend it, you know?
HaHa! I hear ya! I just read so much about the increased power, less vibrations, etc... and thought it might be good to do while the piston was out. I sure don't wanna tear it all apart again once I have it put back together. But the price isn't something I have laying around. Might be worth it though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts