Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Been lurking on the forum for a few weeks now and learning a bunch. I'm in the market for my first KLR and am curious, beside the upgrades (suspension, seat, etc.) is there a way to tell the difference between a 2014 and a 2014.5 model? In other words, what's to stop someone from selling their "2014.5" when in fact it's a 2014 without those upgrades of the New Edition.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
A counterfeit, or substitute, saddle would be necessary to make a 2014 into a faux 2014.5 NEW EDITION; the seats are different between those two models.

Suspension differences exist, but might be difficult to detect externally.

Date-of-manufacture might be a tell-tale, but I'm unfamiliar with the data.

Other markings may resolve ambiguity; other forum members may be aware of such indicators.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Watt-Man keeps tabs on production, production numbers and stuff like that on the KLR. When I bought my Thermo-Bob from him a couple weeks ago he contacted me for info on my 2016, engine and serial. He has a ton of good info on KLR history if you check his KLR Articles Page.

Information, Articles

As you'll find in his stuff, the 2014.5 was called 2014 NE ("New Edition"). The serial number range was 74,065-77,174; engine numbers were 110,264-113,376. Here are two of his articles that have those ranges.

http://www.watt-man.com/uploads/KLR_Timeline.pdf

http://www.watt-man.com/uploads/KLR_ID.pdf

·
Registered
335 Posts
I didn't know there even was a 2014. All this time I thought they waited late and released it mid year. Who knew?? I just thought it went from 13 to 14.5.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree, I didn't know there was a 2014. I do know the 2014.5 sits lower and compared to my 2009, the wheels, forks and arms on the front and back are black instead of bright chrome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts