Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stripped the oil drain a ways back and tapped it out. I had ordered some 14mm magnetic drain plugs. Well, long story short, my bro in law and I ended up without the right metric tools and tapped it out to...crap, I don't even remember. Anyway, the magnetic plugs are now useless and we used a large bolt cut in half (my bro in law knows what he's doing...not as sketchy as it sounds).

Now, here is the question. The place I ordered the magnetic plugs from says they will put a magnet on any bolt. So I COULD send them our jury rigged bolt and have them rig it up. But that would mean not riding for a while. Just how much good does the magnetic plug do? I never used them before. Oh, and does anyone know a place that offers this service and is not in Canada? :63a:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think the magnets help some - at least they do no harm.

Why not take the other half of the cut bolt to the bolt store, match it with one the proper length (or get another and cut it off) and have a magnet installed.

I probably wouldn't bother, just change the oil/filter regularly.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I started making my own magnetic plugs useing small (1/4 in) round magnets and a little JB Weld. The magnets are pretty strong and would probably stay in place with out the JB Weld but better safe than sorry. I bought a batch of 10 magnets off of Ebay for about $10 shipped and I have put one on all my bikes, 4wheelers, lawnmower, log splitter, snow blower and the kids go kart. You just have to be sure that you have the room up inside the engine for the additional 1/8 in or so. Hav'nt found one even close yet. It is amazing how much crap ends up on that little magnet. I am going to get some more magnets and put them on the drain plugs in my trucks transmission and transfer case and the diferential fill plugs as well.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. I thought of both of those options. The idea of attaching a magnet to the bolt kind of makes me nervous...then I got the idea of magnetizing the bolt itself with some wire and a battery.

Or I'll just change the oil a lot and stop worrying about it. :35a:

(Just bought 20 emgo filters for 18.70...thx Paper)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And my wife thought 20 was excessive. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
And my wife thought 20 was excessive. ;)
Naw.. I ordered 25 last time, and you have a better chance of trading for beer than I do.. I'm currently in Baton Rouge, but was told that we got another 3-4" of snow, on top of the 4" we got this weekend..:)

Maybe I should have bought filters for my snowmobile??:49:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Don't miss the softshell crab at Ralph and Kacoo's.
Not sure if I'll get a chance tonight, as I've got a 6am flight home tomorrow, but I get down here every six months and it's going on the list of places to get to..
Thanks for the tip!!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
As an added precaution your oil filters in a dry location. I keep them in a ziploc bag.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good call, Tim. Thanks

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
How valueable is a magnetic drain plug???? You ask..?? Well..all I can say is...it will pay for itself the first time it grabs something and you ask yourself....what would that have done to my engine if that magnetic plug didn't snag it?

OR...you could just risk it and change your oil more frequently...but will that catch a floating bit inbetween oil changes?

Your call..?

No brainer for me...

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
The magnet is part of the solution since it can let you know if something is not well by the deposits it collects.

The other part is the low profile bolt head that lessens the chance of getting hungup on a rock and possibly cracking the case. It can happen!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, a magnetic drain plug can tell you if something is going wrong and also help to control debris if it does. It also helps to remove wear metal from the oil, so that can help the filter too.

All good :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts