Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding cruisers for a few years now (currently have a 2001 Kawi Nomad bagger with the fairing and all), and my son asked me for a dirtbike 2 years ago. I found a good deal on a little Honda Z50 for him to learn on, and picked up an '85 KDX200 to chase him with. After many frustrating hours trying to keep that ratbike of mine running, I sold it to a bike mechanic for his kid to learn on, and started looking for a dual sport. I did a lot of research, and lurked on a few sites, and decided the KLR650 seemed like the best pound-for-pound dual-sport money could buy.

Today I bought a 2001 with 17,000 miles on it, in pretty good condition for $2200. Previous owner had it for 7 years, did a lot of mods (doohickey being the most important), and decided it was time for a different toy. Only things wrong with it are left mirror, hand guard, clutch lever, and choke switch pretty beat up from a close-encounter with a tree. Fairing and rest of bike are in decent shape for a 2001. Took it for a spin around the block, and Oh-boy is this different than my Nomad! But I can't wait to fix up the few small damages, and get her on the road or on the trails with my son.

Anyways, that's a long-winded noobie post, but now you know why I'm here and I'm looking forward to learning about my new ride, meeting some good people, and spending way too much time and money adding farkles and upgrading things on it like every other bike I've owned :)

cheers,
T

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums :). The KLR is an awesome bike and your going to love it! Just too bad that it looks like our season is pretty much toast, I'm about 3 1/2 hours North of you and it's been snowing lightly all day with more in the forecast... Oh well, lots of time to fix the damages and get to know your new bike anyway! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome to the forums :). The KLR is an awesome bike and your going to love it! Just too bad that it looks like our season is pretty much toast, I'm about 3 1/2 hours North of you and it's been snowing lightly all day with more in the forecast... Oh well, lots of time to fix the damages and get to know your new bike anyway! :)
Gonna be +15 C here next Saturday...might get a few miles under my belt before the white stuff gets here to stay! :35a:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Welcome and google klr650faq for a good read.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Welcome gascan!
Nice to see another Albertan in the mix!
So out of curiosity....When you go on a long ride, do you take another YOU for extra fuel!? :t1204: I just couldn't resist!!!
Regards....justjeff

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
Welcome to the forum, gascan! So, how many miles would you guys who live in even the same province up there have to ride to get together for a tech day? Like, 2500 miles or so one-way?

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hi planalp!
The province of Alberta is roughly 500 miles wide and 1000 miles top to bottom. Most of the members registered on the KLR User Map are fairly central around Edmonton though many forum members from Alberta have not registered on the users map. I would estimate that most members are within 300 miles of each other. I can hear ROADTRIP come spring!!!
regards....justjeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi planalp!
The province of Alberta is roughly 500 miles wide and 1000 miles top to bottom. Most of the members registered on the KLR User Map are fairly central around Edmonton though many forum members from Alberta have not registered on the users map. I would estimate that most members are within 300 miles of each other. I can hear ROADTRIP come spring!!!
regards....justjeff
Did someone say "ROAD TRIP"?!?!?! I'm in!

I live in Calgary, anyone up for a Kananaskis blast in the spring?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts