Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding (off & on) since 1976 and got the Water Buffalo, a lime-green 2006, in 2010. Just rolled over 40K on it. It's taken me south to California and north to Alaska, Yukon and the NWT, but mostly we explore the backroads and single-tracks of Washington. I just discovered this forum, mostly because I was wondering why it has lately developed a taste for motor oil (nothing extreme, but more than it ever drank before). I love my noisy, bumpy, buzzy KLR but also have a couple of big Bavarian sewing machines in the garage, and a nearly-new KLX which is also a hoot to ride through the forest.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dr.Science!
Re the oil consumption: Have you switched brands of oil recently? My '11 doesn't like Rotella for some reason but is fine using CastrolGTX. Odd I know!
Best Regards....General JustJeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In its life, I've mostly run Rotella full synth, and that's what's in there now. However it has had other things over time and it never seemed to make much difference. Even regular car dino oil has been run at times (options are limited in some parts of the world) with no noticeable change in, for instance, clutch function, which is said to be vulnerable to automotive formulations.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Welcome.

From research I'm gonna ask if you've installed a Thermo-bob on your bike? Its been said by the fiduciaries that after prolonged use without one the cylinder comes out of round. May be causing excessive oil consumption?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely. I love my Thermo-Bob. I'd call it an essential mod for any KLR owner who hopes to put a lot of miles on their ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts