Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking around this forum for a while now. I bought my bike in April (08 blue) and it's now got around 930 miles so far. I have a short commute (7 mi) so I'm not really racking up the miles as yet.
No major problems so far, it doesn't seem to use oil, though my riding wouldn't really show it. I still have my original turn signals (I understand that that that's somewhat unusual).
Haven't done much to it yet, just a couple things:
IMS extended shift lever (Size 12 steel toes)
"I" mod (that would be 1/2 of the "L" mod, my last Dremel cutting disk broke so I stopped half way). Didn't really notice any improvement in performance, but it's certainly louder now.

Planned mods:
Doohickey
probably some new (taller) bars.
Healthier fork springs and perhaps emulators (this thing dives like a submarine when I really hammer the brakes)
$0.22 mod (I suck with carbs so I'm a bit apprehensive on this one)
Still on the fence on exhaust changes (I like quiet, but I also like more power), Just curious, but why does a simple slip-on cost as much as an entire Cat-back system for my car? It's not like they are terribly sophisticated technology.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Welcome aboard Greg.

Glad to see the farkling fever has already hit you so soon :)... LOL

The L mod won't make a huge difference by itself. But in conjunction with carb mods and maybe even later on a new muffler, it really comes into play. The .22 cent smile maker is quite easy and nothing to feel apprehensive about. You will only have to remove the plastic cover off the top of the carb, use a magnet or long thin needle nosed pliers and pull the needle straight up and out. Slide on two of the stainless steel washers called for and slide it right back in. If you don't mess with the rubber diaphragm you'll be fine. If Murphy does show up and the O-Ring gasket of the diaphragm pops out of place use a bit of vaseline or Di-Electric grease to help hold it in the groove as you replace the plastic top.

The slip ons cost so much, because the companies know we'll pay the price to get the boost in power and sound. Supply and demand. And in case you haven't noticed, a bike will $100 dollar you to death for everything, but that is just part of it. I do know of a guy on another forum that used a tractor muffler from Tractor Supply and had good success with it. Keep us posted on new add ons and changes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts