Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my first KLR last night. I traded my brother an SL350 for it..

'03 with 24,700 miles on the clock.

I've been a motorcycle fanatic for 34 years now. This site seem to have a ton of good info. Look forward to hangin' around and learning a bit about my new (to me) scoot.

I'd add pics, but it looks like I've gotta make 15 posts first...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hey mjn and welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll enjoy the KLR like the rest of us do. You're right about this forum having good info. If it's about a KLR, someone here has been there, done that and is willing to share the experience. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new (to you) KLR.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Welcome to the forum, mjn! This site does, indeed, have a ton of good info. We'll be looking forward to some photos.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome guys!
The bike has been sitting outside and has not run since '09. Believe it or not... I filled the battery with distilled water and put it on the battery tender last night...and it has a full charge this morning!
I'm guessin' the carb will need to be taken off and cleaned out, since the gas was still on..:sign0161: We'll see tonite.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... 15 posts out of the way. Here are the only shots of the KLR at this point;

Here's another dualsport project I'm workin' on..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Nice lookin old Honda!
You'll really like the KLR. I never was a fan of them until I rode an 08.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice lookin old Honda!
You'll really like the KLR. I never was a fan of them until I rode an 08.
Thanks! If you think the stock suspension on the KLR sucks...just ride an old SL350 around for a bit LOL!!

I must say, at this point I really do like the KLR. I've logged a whoppin 15 miles on it so far..

I know I've gotta put some tires on it soon though.. I hate riding any bike on a flattened out rear tire.. to make it worse, the rear tire on it is some Maxis that looks like it belongs on the MX track..center is toast... makes corners interesting!

gotta do the doohickey first though...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Ya you've got the maxxis 6006 on there. If you think that's knobby, it sounds like you want a more road friendly tire. You might look at the Shinko 705. Inexpensive and I'm very happy with them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya you've got the maxxis 6006 on there. If you think that's knobby, it sounds like you want a more road friendly tire. You might look at the Shinko 705. Inexpensive and I'm very happy with them.
Yea.. I've heard good things about the 705's, but they're listed as a 75/25 tire, and I'd really like something a bit more canted towards off-road. I've got streetbikes... I want this thing to work well on gravel/dirt etc..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The 244 rear is a nice 50/50 tire. Get it over the k270. Mt21 front is great. Rear d606 is great if you want tough and aggressive.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Welcome. Nice KLR, but that Honda is a beauty. I have a 73 CB450.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts