Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, folks. Just picked up an '87 KLR650 for my son. He will be working on it for a school project. I've been reading on here and a few other sites for a while. Lot"s of great info, so I figured I'd introduce myself. Actually thinking of getting one myself. Trying to decide if getting a 3rd gen for. Full retail or close to it is worth almost double he price of a <10k miled 2nd gen.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome. Working on bikes for a school project sounds like my kind of school.

I didn't even know we'd moved into Gen 3. Depending on where you're from, KLRs may be a hot or cold seller. They don't sell well in Florida so dealers are more "negotiable." I bought new, but there's a lot of value in the used KLRs out there.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Welcome Crunchmeister.
I recon that your reference of "3rd Generation" means 2014 & 1/2 and UP.

Or "New Edition", as Kawasaki called it. With the even stronger springs and better contoured seat for improved highway touring with ever more gear.

One might count that as 5th edition, with the clutch change we recently learned about!
1987-1995 / 1996-2007 / 2008-2011 / 2011.5-2014 / 2014.5 & UP.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've mentioned this before, as a new KLR owner the seat and suspension on my Gen3 2016 KLR have both exceeded my expectations. For what it's worth, my expectations were developed from reading reviews and forum posts. However, the seat has been very comfortable. I like it. My son did back to back 350 days on a recent trip we went on without a complaint, and he's always complained about the seats on his bikes, even street bikess. The suspension is going to do the job. I don't plan to put any money into it in the short term, except that I plan to get some preload adjustment caps for the front forks. So if Gen3 is 2014+ I'd give it an edge over the Gen2 in 2 important areas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. The "new" is exactly what I meant. I will use that term now on. You pretty much answered the question. Here in the NW US, they are a hotter item; asking prices for older gen2's with15k+ on them are seeing prices into the mid $4k's and "new" gens into the low $5k with similar mileage. I'm looking at one gen2 with low miles in the mid $3k's, but it's a 4-5 hr drive each way and that owner thinks the stock doohickey is fine, that it's a scam. I've read of a few actual failure cases but most just want to avoid a failure. Thoughts/opinions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts