Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from the blood donor clinic and relieved that it was less humiliating than the last visit. I'm 66 but told that I look and act much younger. My wife used "quite immature" which I took as a compliment.

Last visit, I was lined up outside the door, with several others waiting to be processed for entry when a very attractive young lady of about 25 jumped up from her seat inside and approached me. I was initially quite pleased to be addressed by such an attractive lady until she asked, "Would you like my chair, sir?".

I glared at her, dripping humiliation and observed, "You may think that you have done a kind thing, but you have not!" She was obviously surprised and asked what I meant to which I responded that any man in the place would rather die than admit they needed to take her seat. She responded that she hadn't meant anything but I returned, "Yes, you did! You meant, "You had better sit down, you dottering old fool, before you fall and break a hip!" "

At that point she saw through me and started to laugh but said that she did take my point. "Leave us old codgers some illusions, young lady. We know that you don't find us attractive but it's not absolutely necessary to single us out to be informed." By now, she and her boy friend were howling with laughter. Lesson learned though. ;-) I don't quite need a walker even though I think she's in my grandson's English class. :fiddler:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Ha! I work with HS kids so I get called a fat, old, bald man every day. Bald? Heck yeah. Not all that fat anymore... Turned 37 yesterday...

:)

I worked with little kids when I was in my twenties, not bald and certainly not fat. Got a lot of "Are you older than my Mom?"

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
I'm so arthritic that if offered a seat I'd be real tempted. Hell, I can hardly type and barely stand up for long enough to wait in a line.

If I fell down I probably wouldn't break a hip, but I doubt I'd be able to get up very quickly.

Huge doses of glucosamine with chondroitin are the only things that are keeping me moving.

37. Whippersnapper.

And Norm, I envy you. Cute girls quit talking to me ages ago...

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Norm, You sly dog, er, rabbit. Fairly rare pet, no wonder you are so popular. ;)

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
That's a nice looking bunny!

What kind is he?

"My bait is bad", Tom said chummily.

Tom

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rupert is a Netherland Dwarf, weighs 3-1/2 pounds. He's my compbunny as I'm retired and home alone most of the time. He lives in my office and adds spice to things. We've had a series of rabbits and other pets but think the rabbits tend to cling to one's heart strings most when they're gone. People continually approach to visit him and comment on how they miss having their rabbit. Children are very charming because they completely engage with the rabbit and one can enjoy the parade of expressions: delight, interest, kindness, followed by all sorts of questions. Lovely way to set the scene for pleasant dialogue. He isn't into the motorcycle, unlike one of our cats, but enjoys the MR2.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Hmmm. I have to think on this a bit.

Pepper the Laser Wiener Dog attracts six-year-olds and their grannies, neither of whose attentions are welcomed.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Just back from the blood donor clinic and relieved that it was less humiliating than the last visit. I'm 66 but told that I look and act much younger. My wife used "quite immature" which I took as a compliment.

I can almost remember when I was 66. :meme:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Can't tell a book by its cover." used to be a good guide and still is, IME. Canadians in Washington, DC some years ago, we got onto the subway and headed in the wrong direction. The cars were quite full so we were standing, holding the rail. As the trip progressed, the percentage of black people increased until we were the only white ones on the train for several stops. People were looking with fairly hard expressions and clearly discussing us, so we became somewhat apprehensive, especially given the media coverage of problems. Being Canadians from a small town, we say nothing of those kinds of problems so had no idea as to what was likely going on. I told my wife that we had to be heading in the wrong direction and should get off and onto the other side at the next stop.

At that point one of the young guys from a group who had been looking and actively discussing our presence got up and approached. He was a foot taller and 50 pounds heavier, plus clearly out of my class even at the same size so I thought, "Oh, oh!".

He stopped, and addressed my wife, "Would you like my seat, ma'am?". Insert the definition of "relief" here. We thanked him and declined that we were going the wrong way and were about to change trains. He smiled and then resumed his serious expression. Just can't tell a book.... I think most folks are nicer than we recognize and often just need an indication from us as to who and what.

·
Registered
29 Posts
44 here, still relatively youthful (facial hair going white before the hair up top)
But... I have a Yorkie. I'll have the ladies attention for years to come...or at least a means to have closer peek ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts