Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks. I’ve been riding a motorcycle as my sole transportation for almost five years now. My trusty Honda Shadow was stolen from me last week, and since it was my only transportation I needed a replacement. I’ve been wanting to get back into a bike that could tackle great obstacles my Shadow could never do. Like parking lot speed bumps, and packed gravel roads...
I just picked up a 2007 KLR with 30k miles and I absolutely love it. The height is like riding in the stratosphere compared to my Shadow. But I feel like I can do anything I want on this bike.
The bike is still very new to me and I’d love any tips on KLR specific maintenance I might not be aware of since all my shadow ever asked for was gas and oil.
I just learned about the doohickey (which was upgraded by the previous owner) that I’ll be resetting when I change the oil and spark plug (NGK iridium) this week. I’ve also read that 30k is about when the valves should be adjusted, which makes sense since it’s a bit slow to start cold in the morning. Are there any other pets I should be checking out to make sure I continue to have a fun reliable bike?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
72 Posts
A good lock.....

Just kidding! Like you, I'm a brand new member and probably not the best ambassador! I had my KLR for several years, but it has been offline for over a year. I'm finding a new enthusiasm for it and presently getting it race ready! Scott

Nice shoes.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Welcome aboard. Someone will be along shortly to post the 'things to look for' and/or 'upgrades' links for you. Can you tell us more about the bike, and maybe post some pics? Any upgrades? What are you looking to do with it? There are a few directions you can take a KLR. Some see it as an inexpensive and reliable base from which to build a bike that can do some serious offroading; others see it as a cool looking road bike that they 'like to know' can go offroad; and others want something with good range and reasonable versatility for camping and other weekend warrior style diversions.

From your description I gather that you're using your bike as a regular transportation machine, with a lot of surface street driving and occasional adventure (off road?). In the 'reliability upgrades' column you'll find stuff like the Thermobob, crash bars, even the oil flow upgrades (an interesting series of modifications developed by two of our key members of this forum). In the 'tinker tweeker' column you'll find lots of other stuff that arguably helps with reliability but is perhaps more focused on performance or fun, like carburetor adjustments and a deluge of aftermarket parts, enhancements, guards and augmentations. Then in the 'genuine performance' column you'll see stuff like suspension upgrades and whatnot. I'm sure others will chime in with additions to this list. The KLR has a reputation for being a solid platform that you can push in a variety of directions, the stock configuration being like situated between a few different options. What you do with it will be related to your enthusiasm for working on it, and what you ultimately want it to do.

Here's a question for the group: With 30K on the odo, does the Thermobob still make sense, or has the bike passed the point where guarding against 'thermal shock' is legit valuable?

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
Here's a question for the group: With 30K on the odo, does the Thermobob still make sense, or has the bike passed the point where guarding against 'thermal shock' is legit valuable?
Real answer; nobody knows! .....but yes, people have opined that the value of a T bob is enhanced the earlier you can put it on. I put one on my 2000 at less than 1000 miles but my 2001 had 15,000 on it when I installed the T Bob2. A gen1 inherently has less issues with oil consumption compared to Gen2's due to the Gen2's larger rad (even worse Delta-T cold shocking) and the early Gen2's poor ring design so while I wouldn't consider one necessary on a well seasoned Gen1, it is definitely an improvement/enhancement of the stock cooling system.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
Some of this may be useful: https://www.klrforum.com/1987-2007-wrenching-mods/58945-common-new-klr-owner-mistakes-avoid.html

As far as modifications go; there are literally hundreds.....and you may need all or none of them depending on your wants, needs, expectations and budget. I ride my KLR's offroad extensively so skid plates, rad guards, footpegs, handguards, alloy bars, suspension and brake upgrades are highly recommended......for a commuter you might be more interested in things like aftermarket seats, 16 tooth sprockets, tall windscreens, etc......all stuff I wouldn't use.

Cheers, welcome and good luck with the new bike.

Dave

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
…so while I wouldn't consider [a Thermobob] necessary on a well seasoned Gen1, it is definitely an improvement/enhancement of the stock cooling system.

Dave
Especially in traffic if I'm not mistaken, where it will prevent the bike from cooling down too much when you get it up to speed only to be stuck at a light again a couple miles down the road.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you find the rpm’s too high on the freeway you might look into a 16 tooth counter sprocket. I believe it lowers rpm’s by just under 400 compared to the stock 15 tooth. You may lose a little torque so consider that. This forum has a wealth of knowledge and the people are great.

Dick

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
After Dave Pelletiers "Common mistakes to avoid", I'll suggest this sight, by our friend & moderator Tom Schmitz.
https://www.souperdoo.com/stuff that i think about/table-of-contents-sorted-by-topic

Most of it began life in these klrforum pages, but can be hard to find & confusing to read, in the forum format. But some details are hiding in the original threads, so use any links provided to further explore the quirkey aspects or dark secrets of your new ride.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I like yourself am relatively new to the KLR, like yourself I am coming over from the cruiser world(Suzuki). All the folks on here are great. I picked up my 06 with 14k km on it. One of the first "mods" I did to mine was the 16T sprocket. These bikes are like no other as far as mods go. They really are a blank canvass. Modding your bike will depend on the intended use. Coming from a Shadow you may find the KLR less stable at higher speeds, I certainly did. I went with an Eagle Mike fork brace, lowered the fender and picked up a UFO fender. It is great that your doohickey was done. I had to do mine. Aux lights are something that I found to be important on this bike. Seat upgrades are always a good bang for your buck. I upgraded my rear spring, I am a bigger guy I didn't like the sag, at 240lbs I felt too heavy for the stock spring. From one noob Klr owner to another, enjoy the bike they are awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts