Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at LED lights at the dealer and they're marked at over 300 US so I looked on Ebay and found these:

2pcs 4INCH 18W CREE LED WORK LIGHT BAR FLOOD BEAM DRIVING SUV ATV UTE JEEP TRUCK | eBay

For 10 bucks I expected junk but they've been running them on the Versys 1000 a couple of thousand miles now with no problems. Very bright. Wired to high beam through a relay with a separate switch so I can kill them if needed. Once the wife saw them on my bike I had to buy a set for hers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
CREE is one of the only LED builders. Others use CREE and place there name on them for the $ effect. You did good.
I put a 14' bar on my truck and have been happy with them. Just wish they had a lighted switch in the kit. Had to go elsewhere at the time.

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
CREE is one of the only LED builders. Others use CREE and place there name on them for the $ effect. You did good.
I put a 14' bar on my truck and have been happy with them. Just wish they had a lighted switch in the kit. Had to go elsewhere at the time.
Wow! A 14 foot light bar on a 7' wide truck, haha. ;)

Squidly, I did get a kinda' cool, tiny little trac-phone pic of the "Sun-Rise from the NW" on Monday the 21st, eclipse day.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
CREE is one of the only LED builders. Others use CREE and place there name on them for the $ effect. You did good.........
That's good news. They've been on there a while now without an issue. I did buy an extra set (in case one failed) to keep in the motorcycle cabinet since I have them on both bikes. The switch cost me twice as much as the lights did. LOL.

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
He must be running a "WIDE LOAD" sign also. :)

Reactions: Toney

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Just ordered a set! I've had cheap cree light bars on the jeep for years ,didn't think about it for the bike till now.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Looked at LED lights at the dealer and they're marked at over 300 US so I looked on Ebay and found these:

2pcs 4INCH 18W CREE LED WORK LIGHT BAR FLOOD BEAM DRIVING SUV ATV UTE JEEP TRUCK | eBay

For 10 bucks I expected junk but they've been running them on the Versys 1000 a couple of thousand miles now with no problems. Very bright. Wired to high beam through a relay with a separate switch so I can kill them if needed. Once the wife saw them on my bike I had to buy a set for hers.
How about a pix of your mounting?
Maybe a pix of the beam pattern. Showing beam looking down the road in front of the bike, and one with beam projected on a wall, or garage door.

Would these lights blind other drivers?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about a pix of your mounting?
Maybe a pix of the beam pattern. Showing beam looking down the road in front of the bike, and one with beam projected on a wall, or garage door.

Would these lights blind other drivers?
Mine are not on a KLR so about all you'd learn from the way I mounted mine is to put them on the front.

Yes they will blind other drivers. The pattern in like a fog. They light up everything.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Lights

What was your objective for having them? Was it to be better seen by distracted drivers, or just better lighting at night?

I'm thinking of putting a set of small LED's on my little NX250 to be seen better by distracted cage drivers.
I don't drive much at night. I don't want to get the guy in front of me, in traffic, to get pi$$'d off because I'm blinding him in his mirror. I've seen some Harleys that run real bright, blinding, LED's. Some pickup's have extra bright lights mounted right at eye level. They blank out all visibility when coming at you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow! A 14 foot light bar on a 7' wide truck, haha. ;)
I guess he just stays on the "main road" or it's mounted "front to back" and he uses mirrors to reflect the light forward. . 0:)
He must be running a "WIDE LOAD" sign also. :)
We're coming off like assholes but that's why I still check in here. ;)
I know we have a wolf issue in WY. I mean a little raw meat and everyone comes out to feast.
It'd be just like a detail guy to pick up my "Caps Lock" mistake and drag it around the forest! Good catch Paul!!
When you get a little older and hate glasses your life becomes cheep entertainment for others. Age lives matter to!!!

I've added a couple to my 09'. These two lane'rs out here offer too many animal opportunities for a stock head light! :animal0029: They work great for that. The rest of the time I'm not over driving the stock light.

With that I'll bow out with my typing tail between my legs and go find my @*($%^@# glasses.:arghh:

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
My brother put a similar set on his KLR. They are super bright during the day. Thankfully didn't have to experience them at night. He switches his headlight off (because he can) and just runs these. He followed me this past weekend for a 1200 km ride over two days. I got tired of those lights burning my retinas every time I looked in the mirror.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My brother put a similar set on his KLR. They are super bright during the day. Thankfully didn't have to experience them at night. He switches his headlight off (because he can) and just runs these. He followed me this past weekend for a 1200 km ride over two days. I got tired of those lights burning my retinas every time I looked in the mirror.
My advice to anyone installing these: Wire them up to the high beam only. Use a relay. They're really bright.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts