Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work I tried to downshift my 08 and it wouldn't go into first. Then I tried to shift up past 2nd into 3rd and nothing! It doesn't make any noise or grind, it just feels like there is only neutral and 2nd. No warning at all. No noise or loose feel to it.

I do ride this bike everyday. I have officially 60K on the odometer and around 10K without the spedo cable last year. Nothing big has ever happened to it other than a broken clutch cable last month. I guess I have been lucky!

Any thoughts? The dealership says it will probably take cracking the case and the labor alone will be much more than the bike is worth, because of the miles. I will probably do it then myself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like clutch plates possibly. i agree do it yourself.
When I pull in the clutch, it disengages. When I'm going down the road I can't just jam it into a higher gear. It really feels like there is nothing there. The dealership said something about a neutral detent!?! I would think that would mean that it would just get stuck in neutral?!? I really don't know.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
i'm no expert but seeing as you recently replaced the clutch cable have you tried adjusting it again. Apologies if i stated the obvious.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Can you get it to shift into the other gears if the engine is off and your rocking the bike while trying to shift it?

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
No, just neutral and 2nd.
Darn, I was thinking that if you could shift it (with no clutch) into the gears when the engine was off it would probably be the clutch itself... Seeing as you can't, I'm thinking it's something that will require a case splitting to repair :(.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Again,
might be silly and painfully obvious, but have you checked the tightness of the shift lever on its shaft?
If that sucker comes even a little bit loose then you'll have all sorts of shifting problems......

iddy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again,
might be silly and painfully obvious, but have you checked the tightness of the shift lever on its shaft?
If that sucker comes even a little bit loose then you'll have all sorts of shifting problems......

iddy
Nope! 2nd thing I checked because it does come loose every once in a while.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the dealership pulled the clutch side cover and said they would have to spit the case. Approximate cost to fix, $2000+. I told them I can get a used engine for much less, and they said they doubt it. If you asked me they pulled the wrong side! They won't put it back together without more money and they charged me $100. Oh, two the the guys offered me a couple hundred for it! They are VERY interested it it! LOL! I told them I could part it out for MUCH more. I also told them I would paint it gold and use it as a lawn ornament before I would sell it to them for $200!

Time to take it home and operate! If it is something simple and obvious on the other side, I'm going back and gonna try to get my $$$ back. At least get store credit. I bet they tell me labor is non refundable! It pisses me off that they wouldn't put it back together! I told them it's like taking a boat cruz and being told I have to pay extra to get back to land!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts