Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i need a lot of help with what I should do. I have a 2018. Today I was replacing the tube on the front wheel. Well when I went to put the wheel on I didn't alight the caliper and what not before putting the axle through. Youd think itd be hard to put it on when not lined up, but it slid in and took two medium hits with a rubber mallet, tightened everything up and done! Wait..... the wheel won't spin. Crap... I don effed it up. Now the axle won't come back out no matter how hard I try.
What do I do? Take it into a shop? Is there a way to fully replace the front if its unfixable? If it is fixable, what do I do. I know I reeeeally screwed up, but I'm not sure how to continue.

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
You may have somehow jammed the rotor on the backside of a pad or you may have jammed the speedometer drive. You may have done both or you may have done something else like not having the pinch bolts fully loose before you whacked it.

If everything is lined up it should take no whacks to install the axle; it should slip in.

At any rate, I'd start with the caliper and unbolt it from the fork and see if that frees things up. Loosen all four pinch bolts, too.

Give the axle a bit of a tap with a soft drift and see if it comes out.

On reassembly, make sure that the speedometer drive is in properly. Inspect it before reassembly to make sure the plate is not bent, then make sure that the tabs on the plate are properly aligned with the slots in the hub. Inspect those, too, to make sure they aren't boogered up. Make sure the housing is lined up so that the tab on the housing fits in the slot on the forks.

Follow the manual's procedure for reassembly of the wheel and axle and make sure everything is properly torqued back up.

Reactions: pdwestman and Toney

·
Registered
320 Posts
You may have somehow jammed the rotor on the backside of a pad or you may have jammed the speedometer drive. You may have done both or you may have done something else like not having the pinch bolts fully loose before you whacked it.

If everything is lined up it should take no whacks to install the axle; it should slip in.

At any rate, I'd start with the caliper and unbolt it from the fork and see if that frees things up. Loosen all four pinch bolts, too.

Give the axle a bit of a tap with a soft drift and see if it comes out.

On reassembly, make sure that the speedometer drive is in properly. Inspect it before reassembly to make sure the plate is not bent, then make sure that the tabs on the plate are properly aligned with the slots in the hub. Inspect those, too, to make sure they aren't boogered up. Make sure the housing is lined up so that the tab on the housing fits in the slot on the forks.

Follow the manual's procedure for reassembly of the wheel and axle and make sure everything is properly torqued back up.
And remember that on most motorcycles a hammer is needed in only a few circumstances, such as driving in certain bearings and other press fit items. In almost every other circumstance, if you feel a hammer is needed, that is a sign that you are doing something wrong. So, at the first urge to grab a hammer, first grab the service manual and do a little reading. :smile2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts