Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there
Twin Falls Idaho here . I got my first bike { KLR 650 2011 orange } :).
I want an opinion on when to change the oil for the first time ? I am leaning towards 500 miles . I am new to all this stuff so any advice is better than my knowledge sofar. I am a plumber by trade so I can do this just want to do it right . Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
297 Posts
Jealous. I love the Orange color.

I would say your safe at 500 miles. 600 miles is standard. Wouldn't go over 1000 though.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I like the orange. If it were mine I would change it immediately and then at 500 miles. Then at 1000. Then every 1.5-2K, but I plan to ride my KLR to 100K miles.

Make sure the oil is right at the top of the sight glass with the bike level.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Shane,
I too just picked up an orange 2011,,, I don't understand why it only seems to be orange leftovers,, I LIKE the orange color.

I just spent $700 at Twisted throttle,, on farkles for mine, (center stand, crash bars, lights, horn ect)

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Welcome OrangeBud.

There's as many opinions as there are oil brands and weights.
I like 15w-40 to 20w-50. 10w 40 doesn't sit well with me and
thumper crank bearings.

Just keep it clean, topped off and go have some fun.
Most, me included switch out the oil twice in the first thousand mi.

CheapMark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks
I Will be changing again at 1000 also just because I am the one guy who read the whole manual with in the first hour ....BIG DORK ... I do want to reach the high miles and will be on top of the maintenence . I must confess I baught with out permission and am still asking for forgivness . { I am a grown ass man damit ...YES DEAR ... LOL }

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I probably changed my oil 5 times in the first 1K miles. Oil is pretty cheap. My engine is pretty happy.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You're welcome. I have OCD too. :)

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
Orange.

Kawasaki.

Orange.

Jeepers.

T

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
You're welcome. I have OCD too. :)
I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in f****g order like they're supposed to be!!

I also changed my oil about four times in the first 1,000 miles or so. Thanks for making me feel "normal."

Also, add me to the list of folks who like the orange color. I think it's sharp. Good buy, 2011 Orange shane!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks
I Will be changing again at 1000 also just because I am the one guy who read the whole manual with in the first hour ....BIG DORK ... I do want to reach the high miles and will be on top of the maintenence . I must confess I baught with out permission and am still asking for forgivness . { I am a grown ass man damit ...YES DEAR ... LOL }
Don't feel bad, the pants at my house don't come in men's sizes either, it only took three days before she started talking to me again after I bought my KLR. I would do it again.

Sent from my iPod touch using Motorcycle
Timothys687
More miles and smiles for all!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Guess I'm a lucky one. My wife bought mine for me. Technically she owns it, but I'm the only one with keys. ;-)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yo, TF

Hey, I'm up in WRV. Let's go for a ride.

Bought a 2011 last summer. Drove to IF to find a black one. Did like the orange when I saw it but stuck with the black.

I did the 1st oil at exactly 600 and I used a certified shop. Now that the warranty is about over I did the second myself (at about 1260---OK I'm embarrassed I didn't get more miles last year).

I think the guys are right about viscosity. The shop used 20-50 so I stayed with that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts