Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding to the gym this morning on my sweet 04 650 klr and decided to check the bike for balance as it some times seems to get very slight wobble at 65 or above. So I let go of the handle bars at about 50 to see what would happen. It wanted to take me to the left until I grabbed the bars again. I'm more concerned about this than a tiny wobble. Suggestions are welcome:)

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
Many roadways are 'crowned' to facilitate water drainage, which does put slightly more pressure (therefore wear) on the LH side of the tires (in the right-side countries).
I'm uncertain whether that would pull you Left or cause minute counter-steering effect to make a RH drift.

Remove your upper chain guide & sight check chain alignment/therefore wheel alignment. The marks on the swingarm can have some error.

Reactions: Jstri

·
Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special
103 Posts
tire pressure?

·
Registered
'08 KLR
325 Posts
Check the sidewall. Every tire has its speed rating, load capacity, and max pressure embossed somewhere on its sidewall You don't have to be running the max, but if you're primarily running on-road, you'll probable be happiest with around 30 psi front and 28 rear. Different strokes for different folks but generally speaking, somewhere in the high end of a tires range, with 2psi more in the front than the rear, will give you improved fuel economy and crisp, accurate on-road handling.

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,568 Posts
Tire pressures won't cause a pull to one side. I'll second PDW's advice: check the alignment of the front wheel to the rear wheel by putting it up on a center stand or propping it up as close to vertical as you can, then pointing the front wheel straight ahead, then sighting down the rear wheel to the front wheel, and vice versa. the crowning on the highway will cause a slight pull to one side, but not a strong pull. It's easy to check if the crown of the highway is the cause--ride on the other side of the highway (so the crown is going the other way), and see if it pulls in the opposite direction.

I had a bike with a bent front fork that would pull pretty strongly to one side, so while yer laying on yer belly, also do your best to make sure the front wheel is vertically in the same plane as the rear wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts