Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After riding around northern Florida few the last few days, I know why Florida riders crash when they come to Tennessee, there isn't a real curve in this whole state.

I also love the way you get sandblasted by big trucks kicking up sand off the road.

The weather is great (in the winter) by the roads,,,, not so much.

Also if you use a rock to hold your RV sewer hose down, bring your own rock.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
After riding around northern Florida few the last few days, I know why Florida riders crash when they come to Tennessee, there isn't a real curve in this whole state.

I also love the way you get sandblasted by big trucks kicking up sand off the road.

The weather is great (in the winter) by the roads,,,, not so much.

Also if you use a rock to hold your RV sewer hose down, bring your own rock.
"bring your own rock."
Toney that is almost hilarious to me. Myself being from one of the Rocky Mountain states.
Did you by chance "find a brick"?

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
It's always good to have a rock.

You can make rock soup.

Tom

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"bring your own rock."
Toney that is almost hilarious to me. Myself being from one of the Rocky Mountain states.
Did you by chance "find a brick"?
We're on the gulf side 60 miles away from the gulf. From what I've seen on the news over the years I think all the "bricks" wash up on the Atlantic side.

The trick here is to fill a plastic bag with sand. It simulates a rock.

I will say they have a nice beach. We rode over to Keaton beach. Nobody was there except these nice people from New York that let me look at their paper map. My GPS had taken us down 20 miles of sand roads that had those "cattle gaps" in the road. We road through a million pine trees, swamp land and a bunch of horned cattle that I had hope wouldn't see our bikes as something they should have sex with. All turned out well as we came out on a real road just before the beach.

The squirrels here at the campground are dumber than a box of rocks. They must think my dog is blind. They wouldn't last a minute in my yard at home.

So far the trips been interesting. We may take one picture of the road someplace. Just one, it all looks the same. Pine trees and straight roads.

I'm kind of glad I mounted my phone to the dash. I may try and watch a movie next time we ride. If you can ride one of those motorcycles at the grocery store that cost 25 cents a ride, you can ride any road we've found so far.
:wink2:

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Toney,
It sounds to me as if you need to touch base with Bill 10. He apparently knows the interesting roads down there. Just be advised that we have seen his bike carburetor deep in water. ;)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Toney,
It sounds to me as if you need to touch base with Bill 10. He apparently knows the interesting roads down there. Just be advised that we have seen his bike carburetor deep in water. ;)
I think this area is better suited for a KLR than my Versys 1000. So far we've seen a cop about every 1/2 mile. Speeding seems out of the question. I could have some fun flying down the sandy side roads on a KLR. I guess with the Tennessee roads at home and all the trips to the Blue Ridge Parkway, we're going to just have to enjoy the 80 degree temps and live with the lack of curves. I did find a speed detector on one of the roads we rode on so I'm interested in getting the mail when I get home. It has been good to ride the new bike here because I've been able to play with all the buttons on the dash without having to watch the road much. You could weld my front forks together and I'd still be able to ride here the rest of the trip. When I get home I'll learn how to turn it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Maybe you had a bad tour guide, never ridden in northern Florida. There are tons in Lake/Polk County, Florida.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have noticed that in winter with many bikes in storage, the topics on the forums start to wonder off the rails a bit. I live in Houston and have no sympathy for the the Florida riders and their straight road problems. I could suggest British Columbia, but they have that, you know, snow problem there and they're all in Florida right now.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
The very same.

Tpin

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe you had a bad tour guide, never ridden in northern Florida. There are tons in Lake/Polk County, Florida.
The "tour guide" was me so there wasn't any knowledge of Florida other than a trip 45 years ago when I was 10. Also I didn't have many choices this late in the "snowbird season" as most places were booked since I wanted to stay 12 days in a row. We'll probably do it again next year with a little more notice and some more research. It's rained all week at home and it's been high 70's here.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Toney,
There are two places that I would probably ride to if I ever had a bike in Florida, inspite of straight roads.

Daytona International Speedway/Beach and Key West, just to say, "I've been there once".

I've been a few places once, while on a bike. Glacier Park, Sturgis Bike Week, SD Badlands/Wall Drug, Pikes Peak, Mesa Verde, Nevada US Hwy50, Lake Tahoe, Death Valley, Morro Bay, Big Sur, etc. I have enjoyed the roads to those places and thru those places More while on a bike than I have while retracing some of the same in a car or pick-up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts