Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I cannot lie! 4.8 gallons is fuel to fly....

While heading for Weston pass (11,921 feet), my speedometer went dead. I quickly found that the cable had broken, and although I wasn't worried about a speeding ticket (because KLR), I was chagrined to find that my trip odometer had also quit working! It read "168 miles", and although I knew that there was another 20 miles to the pass, and another 25 miles over it, I had no fear of running out of gas, thanks to that big tank! Hooray!

For what it's worth, the road over the Weston pass summit is clear of snow - the east side is easy-peasy, but the west side is pretty rocky with a few scary sections.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I must be mistaken myself - the specs in my owner's manual say that the fuel capacity (Gen II) is 5.8 gallons (22 litres).

Mea culpa...

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Then, there's the story of Peter, the South African who came to America, "built" a Generation 2 for his 45,000-mile ride through the Americas . . . and completed it!

Here's his ride report: Riding through the Americas | Adventure Rider

Among his modifications, a 10-gallon fuel tank:

Now, the punch line: He RAN OUT OF GAS, on the first leg of his journey! :)

(When one side of the tank runs dry, the vacuum lift tank cannot lift fuel from the lower reaches to the petcock, situated at a higher elevation on the bike. I guess the trick is to make sure that's the LAST side to run dry.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts