Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I bought a used 08 KLR. I have quite a few bikes and don't license all of them each year. This year I plated the KLR and rode it for the first time the other day. I rode 150 mi, about half in a light rain. I absolutely love it. Plenty of power, great handling. I think if I just had to have one bike the KLR just might be my choice. I am a very happy old guy.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Nice man. What other bikes? Pictures? We like pictures. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Lockjaw, I have 07 Harley Elect. Classic,
06 ZX14, 09 c-14,04 Ktm 450 sx, 04 KTM 450EXC, 04 Rm125, 08 KLR 650, 87 K100RT, 75 R75/6, 76 R90S, 75 R90, 77 R100, 78 R100 Some of the old BMWs are in various stages of Resto. I don't know how to post pics. As you can see I have all kinds and types but I am really impressed with the KLR . I'm an old guy (68) luckily I am in great shape and ride alot. 2yrs ago I broke 3 ribs and punctured a lung on the RM 125 on a motocross track. My jumps are great, its the landings that needs work. I put Happy Trails panniers on the KLR and I am looking forward to some trips this summer. I just love bikes and have ridden for about 55 yrs. I belong to 2 bike clubs and I think bikers are the best people out there. Thanks for your reply and if I can figure out how to post pics I will.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Jeepers, that's a crapload of bikes. Now we HAVE to see pictures. You need 15 posts and then ask me how and I'll explain. It's pretty easy. Hang around a while and soon you'll have your 15.

Sorry to hear about your bust up, but it sounds like you're back at it man.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a crapload of bikes and its finally dawning on me that maybe I should get rid of some of them. Instead I just seem to keep buying them. I have all of these BMW projects I even have a sidecar that I want to mount on one of them. If I am going to get all of these done I had better get at it I am running out of time. My biker buddies who are all younger are just waiting for me to croak so they can come to the sale. (they're kidding, I think). I am on the computer a lot but I have to admit these forums are a bit confusing. I am on facebook (Michael Dunlap) I have 3 bike pics on there. Harley, zx14 and Rm125 motocross bike. I managed to get a few pics on there but I really don't know how I did it. I appreciate your offer to help and when I get my 15 posts I will take you up on it.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Sounds good, brother. And it sounds like you don't need to get rid of any bikes. Seems to me you've earned them. Says the guy who is constantly talking himself out of selling his 73 Honda. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing that 73 Honda has special meaning for you. We all need to be responsible and toys should never replace necessities. If the boat is floating ok then why not have some items that make you feel good. I'm willing to bet that you get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that 73 Honda is out there in the garage. Right now a 73 Honda is a better investment than money in the bank. They are getting more collectible all the time and they will never make another 73 Honda. You will never own one for less money than the one you have. I have tons of regrets about things I have sold and was sorry later. Do yourself a favor and just enjoy your 73,

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have 07 Harley Elect. Classic, 06 ZX14, 09 c-14,04 Ktm 450 sx, 04 KTM 450EXC, 04 Rm125, 08 KLR 650, 87 K100RT, 75 R75/6, 76 R90S, 75 R90, 77 R100, 78 R100.
Awesome collection!

I've only got two bikes. :ashamed0001:

Lots of guns though. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks RockyRider, believe me when I tell you that you can have just as much fun with 1 bike as you can with 20, and for a lot less money. I have always said that the best kind of bike is the one you have. It is not important what brand or how new or how many bikes. In my opinion what matters is the riding and the brotherhood. By the way I like guns too, I have never met a biker who didn't like guns too. This weekend I am off to a BMW rally in Sturgis Mich, it usually is cold and rainy.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'm guessing that 73 Honda has special meaning for you. We all need to be responsible and toys should never replace necessities. If the boat is floating ok then why not have some items that make you feel good. I'm willing to bet that you get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that 73 Honda is out there in the garage. Right now a 73 Honda is a better investment than money in the bank. They are getting more collectible all the time and they will never make another 73 Honda. You will never own one for less money than the one you have. I have tons of regrets about things I have sold and was sorry later. Do yourself a favor and just enjoy your 73,
Yup. I wanted one since I was 16. 32 now. Tracked down my dream: 73 cb450. I talk about selling it, but I doubt I ever will. Still runs great. And you're right, I could never get what it is worth.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What matters is the riding and the brotherhood.
You got that right!

I agree it doesn't matter what make etc. I've owned BSA, Suzuki, Yamaha, and BMW bikes over the years and enjoyed them all. My KLR is the first Kawasaki.

Mortgage and family got in the way of bikes for a while but at 55 I decided I'm not ready for the couch by a long shot, so now I'm back in the game with the 09 KLR. My other bike is a '79 Yamaha. Not sure if I'll ever get that one running again - it was given to me last year with most of the electrics stripped and I'm no vehicle electrician, so we'll see.

Have a good run out at the weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will be 68 in Nov.I,ve owned many bikes over the years,mostly dirt,but some road.Triumph,Honda,etc.I bought my 97 KLR last year.Only 8k mi on it.Ispent 6 months and too much money adding and replacing parts to make it "my bike"It is one of the best bikes I've ever owned.Much better than my first dual purpose which was a Yamaha DT-1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim, I am 68 now. I didn't used to be this old it just kind of sneaks up on you. I am in good shape and if nothing breaks or bends I plan on another 10 yrs of riding. At 65 I decided to try motocross. I was actually doing pretty good. I would go to the track on practice days and go as fast as I could. I was reaching the point of passing some of the slower riders (I was used to riding in the dirt, I also had a DT-1). The jumps are new to me, I tried a triple jump and made two of them. I woke up in an ambulance with 2 broken ribs and a punctured lung. My jumps were pretty good it is the landings that need work. I lift weights about 3-4 times a week and stay very active. I don't feel 68 and some say I don't look it either. I do and always have loved bikes and I think bikers are the best. Last year I rode to Tenn. (I live in Michigan) and I intend on doing many more trips. I am going to go to the U.P. of Michigan on my KLR, perfect bike for that trip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts