Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I changed my oil for the first time, I bought 5 quarts of Mobil 1 Motorcycle Synthetic, thinking I could eke out 2 oil changes. Wrong! I'm changing the oil this weekend for the second time (2,000 miles on the oil change) and I had to buy and use the better part of another quart of oil! What I'm saving in gas is going in the sump!

I'm switching to Rotella T6, which will help dollar wise, but I'm thinking if I go on an adventure ride I won't be able to carry enough oil to make a very long trip!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Welcome to the club. When I take long rides I take a quart of oil with me. :(

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
The 2008 has a reputation for oil consumption. I see more 2008's for sale than any other year of KLR.

The best solution is to go with a 685 engine kit.

Other than that I would suggest you forget the synthetic and use Rotella T. The oil isn't staying in there long enough to benefit from the use of synthetic oil. Why pay more?.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The 2008 has a reputation for oil consumption. I see more 2008's for sale than any other year of KLR.

The best solution is to go with a 685 engine kit.

Other than that I would suggest you forget the synthetic and use Rotella T. The oil isn't staying in there long enough to benefit from the use of synthetic oil. Why pay more?.

What he said...

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got back from a 1515 mile ride. FL. to NC. and back, on my 08. It burned about 12 oz. I didn't think that was too bad. No interstate, mainly 55 mph riding. Using Rotella.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My '09 is a burner, too. But I can buy a lot of oil for what a 685 kit costs.

I add a half-pint every 250 miles or so...that's a quart every 1,000. If I change the oil every 3,000, I have added an extra 2 quarts during that time. Assuming a 685 kit is $500 (I may be waaay off here), and if oil is $5 per quart, at my present concumption rate, I can buy enough oil for 150,000 miles before I've spent the same on oil as I would have spent on the kit. I'll never keep this bike that long.
$10/3,000=$.0033, and $500/$.0033=150,000

Of course, it is entirely possible that oil consumption will markedly increase over time, which changes not only the economics, but also the bike's performance.

So, I'm quite content to keep adding my half-pint every fill up. I don't carry extra oil, because most every place I have ever stopped for fuel also has 10W40 oil for sale as well.

YMMV

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my way back from RideNow, I stopped at Wally World and picked up a gallon of Rotella T for $12.97. They also had Rotella T5 synthetic blend for the same price, but it was 10w-30, not 15w-40, so I didn't deviate rom the plan. Tomorrow on my way to work I'll swing by Cycle Gear and grab a K&N 123 filter, and on Saturday it will be "Out with the old, in with the new"!

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you don't already have one, I would suggest you consider one of Eagle Mike's low-profile magnetic drain plugs. I bought one, and am glad I did. Every time I bang over a log or a rock, I am glad my drain plug is no longer sticking its little head up where it can get broken off.

Here's an unsolicited plug for Eagle Mike: he's one of the very few merchants I have ever dealt with who consistently delivers MORE than what is expected.

CL

·
Registered
100 Posts
So far I buy 3 quarts when I do an oil change and don't use 1/2 of what's left by the time I do the next. Trying to do them every 2K miles. Mines an 08, don't ride the highway and don't often get the RPM,s over 5K.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you don't already have one, I would suggest you consider one of Eagle Mike's low-profile magnetic drain plugs. I bought one, and am glad I did. Every time I bang over a log or a rock, I am glad my drain plug is no longer sticking its little head up where it can get broken off.

Here's an unsolicited plug for Eagle Mike: he's one of the very few merchants I have ever dealt with who consistently delivers MORE than what is expected.

CL
Thanks. I'll check it out!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've just purchased a 2010 KLR. In the owners manual it states to change the oil every 12000 km (7500 miles) which I presume is with semi-synthetic, but this still seems high to me. Reading this thread it sounds like 5000 km (3125 miles) is more the norm.
Opinions?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
5000kms is my number.......so that is what 60% of 5000kms in real distances......I just think of it as....and I learned this the hard way many decades ago with a Mazda 323......the oil in your engine is it's life's blood.......if it gets dirty or destroyed it soon starts onto something else to destroy, cam bearings, crank bearings.....any surface that relies on the oil's capabilities to stop wear from happening.....any oil is cheap even the expensive snake oil I use, Amesoil 10W40 at $15 a litre on sale, compared to parts of your engine.
It's your engine and your decission to make......just change it regularly and it should be fine......:13:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lately I've been altering my riding habits. Treating 5k RPM as redline. So far, I've changed the oil to Rotella T, 2 tanks of gas, and no noticeable oil consumption. This is very good news for me!

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
The other side of the coin

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, or Kawasaki changed the ring design by the time my '08 was built. My oil changes occur at around 2 to 3 thousand miles and never has the level been less than half the sightglass. I hammer this bike mercilessly. Maybe it was my break in procedure, or lack of, Ive rode this bike in that fashion since new.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, or Kawasaki changed the ring design by the time my '08 was built. My oil changes occur at around 2 to 3 thousand miles and never has the level been less than half the sightglass. I hammer this bike mercilessly. Maybe it was my break in procedure, or lack of, Ive rode this bike in that fashion since new.
REAL nice, brother. Rub it in. :character00268: :)

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
REAL nice, brother. Rub it in. :character00268: :)
Haha....I was told once by a coworker that I was "charmed". Whatever that meant, prolly along the lines of falling into a bucket of shiite and coming out smelling like a rose. In any event, I'll take my good fortune.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
As well you should. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts