Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 KLR 650 Camo

Ok, so last night I started to drive away with a cable lock around my front tire. Pulled out and broke the speedometer cable. Had to use a screwdriver and hammer to get the cable out from being wedged between the fork and the speedo drive assembly.
To replace the speedometer cable, do I just install a new one by screwing it in to the assembly and under the windshield? Is it that simple? Or do I need to open the assembly and other stuff? Also, the spot on the assembly where the cable enters is facing or closer to the ground...is that the correct position; you would stick the cable "up" in to the assembly so that is comes up from the bottom; want to make sure I didnt eff that up too. Thanks guys

Garrett

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you're referring to the lower cable/gear housing (re: cable sticking down) there is a notch/stop in the fork that the cable housing slides into for proper placement. Properly set, the cable faces upward with about a 30% back angle. If the cable/gear housing got turned when the cable bound up around it, the housing may be broken. If not broken, when you re-situate the housing note that we've had experiences here aligning the notches on the gear washer inside the housing. See the information that I separately sent you; has a good picture of the washer I'm referring to. Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
The alignment tab which Bill10 is referring to could be sheared off, but as long as the housing is not Cracked it should be perfectly functional.

When the axle nut is fully tightened the speedometer drive housing is normally anchored into place with the 60+ ft lbs of torque on the nut. So loosen the nut on the LH side & the LH clamping bolts. Then rotate the speedometer drive housing back up in to place.
I Purposely re-index all of the Gen 2 speedometer drives so the cable enters at the 9:00 position, not the factory position. This reduces the 'S' bend in the cable when the suspension is compressed.

Re-torque the axle nut & the fork clamp bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts