Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had 1 pr of riding pants and they suck. It's time to buy a new pr.
Here's what I'm after:
Cheap (on sale), mostly black (they can have other colors as well), pockets, over the boots pants, and some protection.
I'd REALLY like to be able to wear them (and not look like a goon) on my dual sports, naked street bike, and MX bike.
FYI - I recently got a DS helmet and have no problem wearing it while riding my street bike.

Anyone got some idea's and/or links?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
RE: New Riding Pants

Good Afternoon Savage,

I have the Sedici ACS, Air Control System Pants. I really like these as you can wear them over your boots or inside. They were about $140.00 at Cycle Gear. They have knee protection that works :). I have tested them on a Spiderman Dismount. They have front leg vents and an interior removable liner. Plus they are water resistant or proof. I have never had water reach the inside.

Snakeboy66

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Newenough.com clearance.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spiderman dismount, lol, that's a nice visual.
I checked NE but didn't see anything in my price range and size...

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm always looking for pants since mine are the "weak link" in my riding gear. I've been wearing the same pair of Carhartt double-denim overpants for the past three years. They're better than nothing, but I'd like to get some pants with some armor and also some leg zippers to get them on over my boots.

Glad you started this thread.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I ride with Carhartt pants, work great just make sure to get them on the long side to keep them from inching their way up your calf while seated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also have ridden with Carhartt double front work dungaree but I am now looking for something with more protection. I had a fall late last season where I fell to the side while going up a single track trail that angled up a rock face. To avoid falling over the steep side I leaned to the uphill side....and hit a rock at the top of the rise...stopping me instantly and kicking me to the downhill side. Well, as it was single track and pretty steep, there was no ground there when I put my foot down and my faithfull (but heavy) steed threw me over and down the slope. Somewhere during my couple of rolls thru the bush and rocks I managed to hit something sharp. With my butt.

Tore my Carhartts horizontally across my entire butt.....and also the skin of my butt from the 'center area' across my left cheek....about 5 inches across. I was OK after the pain subsided (or when the shock took hold....I'm not sure) but had to ride down the the mountain with a broken front brake lever, a broke-off right footpeg and a bleeding butt cheek sitting on my seat. Not fun. But more fun than having my girlfriend clean up said area once I made it home! So now I am looking for a better alternative than my Carhartts.

I am tall at 6'5" and have a 40" waist. I can't find any dual sport pants that have a long inseam AND butt armour! Anyone have any suggestions on a brand for big guys?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I wear First Gear Kathmandu jacket and pants. Bought them because they offer tall sizes (I'm 6'3" with 34" inseam). They offer 40" tall for you Lizardrider. Decent armor, removable insulated liner, thigh vents, removable suspenders and it looks like the 2012 version has pockets which mine doesn't... Dang it! They are very comfortable in all but the warmest of weather and waterproof. Never heard of any britches with arse armor!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I also have ridden with Carhartt double front work dungaree but I am now looking for something with more protection. I had a fall late last season where I fell to the side while going up a single track trail that angled up a rock face. To avoid falling over the steep side I leaned to the uphill side....and hit a rock at the top of the rise...stopping me instantly and kicking me to the downhill side. Well, as it was single track and pretty steep, there was no ground there when I put my foot down and my faithfull (but heavy) steed threw me over and down the slope. Somewhere during my couple of rolls thru the bush and rocks I managed to hit something sharp. With my butt.

Tore my Carhartts horizontally across my entire butt.....and also the skin of my butt from the 'center area' across my left cheek....about 5 inches across. I was OK after the pain subsided (or when the shock took hold....I'm not sure) but had to ride down the the mountain with a broken front brake lever, a broke-off right footpeg and a bleeding butt cheek sitting on my seat. Not fun. But more fun than having my girlfriend clean up said area once I made it home! So now I am looking for a better alternative than my Carhartts.

I am tall at 6'5" and have a 40" waist. I can't find any dual sport pants that have a long inseam AND butt armour! Anyone have any suggestions on a brand for big guys?

Thanks in advance!
OMFG! Thats one of the worst war stories i've heard in awhile. I was so disgusted I had to read it twice.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had on Oly's when I had a 75 mph high-side. The Oly's came thru. Minimal road rash, and only broken bones were collar bone, ribs, and foot. I went out and bought another pair!

ATGATT!

·
Registered
186 Posts
hey know what yal mean...
carrhartt good to play round back yard just getting started=my fravoratie brand for any thing out doors!!!!!

BUT PROTECTION FOR RIDING =NOT REALLY...fyi have gone thro couple different types pants/jackets...
starter with cheap NO NAME insulated/water proof par $100 or less,,good nice first par....when wrecked=paints just ripped apart,,no damage to me,but paints no more!!!

2nd step was to get OLYMPIA vented/water proof ($250+ range),,worked better able to use to the layers(removeable and w/waist high leg zipper rain paint)under vented hard armor pants,to ride in mulititude of weather ...but one slide across pavement on butt ate up paints,,again no harm to me,they worked= don't think could do twice an any paints left...

3rd last par is KLIM vents/waterproof ($200 range),,bit cheaper !! great for off road !! can add more armor!! been lucky have not tried out these as did the others...but so far for price =think the KLIM is a great option,,
but they don't seem to have multi layers like some others,have found any hikeing/camping store to have better underlayers an cheaper too...

so advice,,get armored paints(vents/no vent) ,an then just go hikeing store an get rain paint/insulated or both to really layer up !!!!! or just vented armored paints an shorts( thats what i ware,cooler than those carrhartts) when dry hot off-roading days come around..

·
Registered
689 Posts
I crash tested Draggin Jeans last year on May 10th. High side at 60 mph. NO ROAD RASH. I think they are great at around $100. The company GAVE me a new pair after I sent them a note RE:the way they protected my butt!

M

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still looking for a pr of pants. :) I don't care about insulation much because when it's cold out like it is now I just put on my Walmart version of Carhart bibs and they keep me nice and warm. I'd like some pants that have the ability to flow air if needed for the warmer rides.
Anyone have some (inexpensive) links?
Thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm still looking for a pr of pants. :) I don't care about insulation much because when it's cold out like it is now I just put on my Walmart version of Carhart bibs and they keep me nice and warm. I'd like some pants that have the ability to flow air if needed for the warmer rides.
Anyone have some (inexpensive) links?
Thanks!
You might want to check out the closeout section at Rocky Mnt. ATV/MC. Seen some decent deals there last night. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Closeout

1 - 16 of 16 Posts