Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at two dif KLR's a1993 with 22k miles and a 1998 with 30k. Both in good shape. The 98 has a after market muffler ( I don't remember the brand). Not sure which to get, advice please.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
If they're in comparable shape and the same price, well, I'd always buy the newer bike - newer is good when everything else is the same. Definitely newer. Unless it was an early Gen2. :banghead: :)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
HOLD UP! If the 93 has Barbie plastics, I change my answer. Always wanted one of those. Exceptions made for COOL, older bikes.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
To me fewer miles is newer. Less worn out, so I would go for the low mileage 93, but it won't take a 685 piston kit and the 98 will. So, I pick door number 2 with the more rebuildable and closer to needing rebuilding 98 behind it.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Depends upon your preference. Further service life expectation, I'd say, about a wash (an after-market muffler is definitely NOT an added benefit to me; could be a deal-breaker, depending upon loudness; others may like it).

While the older jug won't take a 685 piston, if you MUST have a 685, you can chase some parts to make it fit.

Just for the record, HOW MUCH is this "same price" asked for the bikes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to apologize for starting out my very first post in the incorrect area (FNG). :t1204: Let me start over.

Hi my name is Terry and I am a KLR owner. I got the 98 for a few different reasons. The owner took the 93 out for a spin and dumped it. Some how he busted both the brake and clutch levers, broke the ice cream scoops and the wind shield. I also didn't realize at the time that I looked at it, it had be lowered. He told me he would knock a 100 off. Eh that's ok. The 98 was only street driven and has always been stored in a garage ( or so the story goes).

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I would like to apologize for starting out my very first post in the incorrect area (FNG). :t1204: Let me start over.

Hi my name is Terry and I am a KLR owner. I got the 98 for a few different reasons. The owner took the 93 out for a spin and dumped it. Some how he busted both the brake and clutch levers, broke the ice cream scoops and the wind shield. I also didn't realize at the time that I looked at it, it had be lowered. He told me he would knock a 100 off. Eh that's ok. The 98 was only street driven and has always been stored in a garage ( or so the story goes).
You chose wisely. And welcome. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts