Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not overly wide, but a size 11 1/2 EE boot would be nice.

I also don't want to spend $400.. :)

Anybody got any suggestions?

I really like the Sidi Way Mega (wide) boot, but I'm open to thoughts or suggestions.

·
Administrator
8,357 Posts
Paper-

I have the Gaerne Explorers and wide feet. Quite happy with them.

Out of the box I wouldn't say they are water proof, but they are quite resistant. I road in a steady drizzle for two days straight earlier this year; my toes got a bit wet and the boots had to be camp-fire dried. The water seemed to be coming in through the stitching.

I've since applied Sno-Seal and am hoping that will make them water proof.

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the problem.. I have a couple pairs of almost waterproof boots.. I have a pair of Aerostich Combat Touring boots, but I hate the speed laces and the fact that the boots are stiffer than newlywed dick.. I can't stand to wear them..

So, I figure the Aerostich's are going on eBay (where I bought them, barely used, for the same reason) and I want a good, solid, and completely waterproof boot, and I want a real EE size.. I'm tired of spending $200 for footwear that's not comfortable, and I'm just not going to do it anymore. If I'm spending that kind of money, I'm going to get exactly what I'm after.. Problem is, I have to find it first. :D

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Newlywed dick...LOL.

The only boots I have that are COMPLETELY waterproof are Engineer boots. Have you thought about waterproof sock liner thingees?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Newlywed dick...LOL.

The only boots I have that are COMPLETELY waterproof are Engineer boots. Have you thought about waterproof sock liner thingees?
Yeah, but that takes me back to your first line, since it's like rolling a condom on your foot..:15:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
True. True. Galoshes?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I really like my Danner Acadia boots with Gortex. They come in both an insulated and non-insulated version. About $230.00.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Paper,

Go to my website, and look at style #427. I have a bunch of riders wearing them, myself included. It will be under the Red Wing brand

www.santarosaredwing.com

Let me know!

MB4

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paper,

Go to my website, and look at style #427. I have a bunch of riders wearing them, myself included. It will be under the Red Wing brand

www.santarosaredwing.com

Let me know!

MB4
Thanks Mark, but I like boots that allow me to feel the shifter/brake, which is part of the reason I don't like the Aerostich Combats..

I've been wearing a pair of Gaerne Stradas for over 10 years, but they're not waterproof. I like the ability to feel everything on the bike, but the soles are just about toast and not replaceable.. I want to replace them with another pair of motorcycle touring boots, but I really want something that fits properly and is waterproof.. Even the Sidi's that I was looking at are water resistant, not waterproof..

I've been informed by friends about how great the Oxtars are in both comfort for wide foot, and waterproof.. Of course they're not the easiest to find..:46:

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Thanks Mark, but I like boots that allow me to feel the shifter/brake, which is part of the reason I don't like the Aerostich Combats..

I've been wearing a pair of Gaerne Stradas for over 10 years, but they're not waterproof. I like the ability to feel everything on the bike, but the soles are just about toast and not replaceable.. I want to replace them with another pair of motorcycle touring boots, but I really want something that fits properly and is waterproof.. Even the Sidi's that I was looking at are water resistant, not waterproof..

I've been informed by friends about how great the Oxtars are in both comfort for wide foot, and waterproof.. Of course they're not the easiest to find..:46:

Fine!

·
Registered
327 Posts
At lest you have options to be picky about! I have a 16 4E foot and not just the moto world but the WHOLE world HATES me! After months of searching I crammed into a 15 4E hiking boot just to have something when I got my bike and the downer I had ripped them up easy leaving my ankle still hurting today. They had the best ankle support I have ever had in my life and still it wasn't enough.

For my trip coming up I am debating trying to cram into Tech 7s but I hear they might not fit under the shift leaver also might not be wide enough. My only other option is Wolverine Waterproof EH Boots. Not sure if I should go steel toe or regular. Either way I learned that the laces MUST go through the leather and not any kind of brackets.

How hard do you think it would be to start a Real Man's motorcycle boot company? All I see is an ocean of guys around the world begging for a wide boot and not one company who cares. I bet there is a fortune to be made!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't get it either.. I have no problem finding quality shoes in 11.5 EE, but motorcycle boots are a different story..

And while the offers of hunting style boot are fine for some, they're not what I'm after.. The Danner Acadia mention made me laugh. I have a pair of them in 400 gram Thisulate/Goretex and they're what I wear snowmobiling. :D Of course, on a sled your feet aren't doing anything but staying warm.

Even hiking boots aren't what I'm after, but again, I thank everyone for the suggestions!!

Back to searching..

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I wonder if there is any affordable way to get custom boots made? I wouldn't know as I have feet not flippers. (ducks) ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Other than that, Oxtar gets mentioned a lot. Oh, and someone suggested taking the insoles out and putting the thin cheapo kind in (odor eaters?). That is what I have gleaned in the five minutes I spent researching because I felt bad that I made fun of y'alls flippers....feet. Sorry. :character00271:

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
At lest you have options to be picky about! I have a 16 4E foot and not just the moto world but the WHOLE world HATES me! After months of searching I crammed into a 15 4E hiking boot just to have something when I got my bike and the downer I had ripped them up easy leaving my ankle still hurting today. They had the best ankle support I have ever had in my life and still it wasn't enough.

For my trip coming up I am debating trying to cram into Tech 7s but I hear they might not fit under the shift leaver also might not be wide enough. My only other option is Wolverine Waterproof EH Boots. Not sure if I should go steel toe or regular. Either way I learned that the laces MUST go through the leather and not any kind of brackets.

How hard do you think it would be to start a Real Man's motorcycle boot company? All I see is an ocean of guys around the world begging for a wide boot and not one company who cares. I bet there is a fortune to be made!
Yo!

Red... Tell me want you would want in a boot, and let me talk to the Company. Most likely you would be a different size in my product (American made) I think we may have some stuff that would fit the bill. We make boots up to size 20. We also have a boot that is a size 638 D too!

Let me know

MB4

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Cotton socks wrapped in duck tape. Spray the bottom with rubberized
underbody coating. Ride. Cut off and discard after a great time.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These look like MC boots at least,

But with a sole like that, there's zero feel of the levers... They're Herman Munster boots..

I know.. I'm picky, but if I'm spending $250 for a pair of boots, I'm going to get exactly what I'm after...

Motorcycle touring boots, waterproof, in 11.5 EE size.. Something like this..

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, that's the way I like em too. You might be able to find a bootmaker who would copy the design. Whether or not they could put armor in, I don't know. Layered leather? Probably. I think Red's right though, there are a LOT of people in your situation.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts