Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else like this stuff? I must admit, I'd kind of forgotten about liver cheese because it seems to be disappearing from the "luncheon meat" departments in most stores.

I'm talking about the square, lunchmeat-sized stuff with the ring of fat around it, not the liverwurst or braunschweiger that comes in a tube.

I was in the local small-town grocery the other day when I noticed they sold it, sliced to order, off a large liver cheese "brick." I had to try it so bought a pound, a thin slice of plastic wrap between each slice, neatly wrapped in white butcher paper: the way meat should be sold.

No pale, tasteless, prepackaged Oscar Mayer liver cheese here: this stuff was top-notch. 3 or 4 slices between two pieces of white bread is all you need.

Their sliced-to-order pickle loaf is also quite impressive.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I applaud you sir. I am also now a wee bit nauseous. ;)

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
"Said the man who, quite literally, pens the praises of Sea Foam", Tom noted poetically.

"'A cat lucky in spades' is a fine turn of a phrase", Tom purred.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I seem to have my limits. I'm tempted to try their head cheese or souse but so far I haven't been up to it.

History: This dish was created in the Middle Ages when bits and pieces of meat and gelatin were enclosed in the head skin of the animal cooked and served that way.

The character "Leatherface" in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was originally called "Headcheese" but they decided the name wasn't scary enough....

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
"Said the man who, quite literally, pens the praises of Sea Foam", Tom noted poetically.

"'A cat lucky in spades' is a fine turn of a phrase", Tom purred.

Tom
The seafoam ode is a bit cheesy. :smile2:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Damn, I can't top the Swifty. Too tired. And thinking about head cheese. :t1204:

·
Premium Member
7,033 Posts
Planalp,
You have got to remember that my Mother was from Oklahoma! (I keep thinking about 'wilted lettuce' and my wifes lack of culinary experience)!
I remember 'liverwurst' sandwiches! I didn't hesitate for an instant, to eat!

I'm uncertain of the difference between liverwurst and 'Liver Cheese'?
Your description and my memory seem the same!

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Planalp,
You have got to remember that my Mother was from Oklahoma! (I keep thinking about 'wilted lettuce' and my wifes lack of culinary experience)!
I remember 'liverwurst' sandwiches! I didn't hesitate for an instant, to eat!

I'm uncertain of the difference between liverwurst and 'Liver Cheese'?
Your description and my memory seem the same!
I think it's just a difference in texture. Liverwurst is more "spreadable" and liver cheese is more 'sliceable."

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
Damn, I can't top the Swifty. Too tired. And thinking about head cheese. :t1204:
I still wanna know what "A cat lucky in spades" means.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
Erm, it's your line! It means whatever you want it to mean. I was just wondering what it was you meant it to mean. Know what I mean?

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Ha! I think it means that I reached too far for a rhyme. ;)

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
In Marilyn Whirry's honors English class we would have spent at least two periods deconstructing that one line to figure out what the author meant by it.

I was always convinced that most authors really meant nothing at all.

Was the cat a feline, or a dude? Does 'in spades' mean 'copious', thus the cat, (feline or dude) has a lot of luck?

Or is spades a game? If it is a game and the cat is a feline, is there a painting of cats playing spades on black velvet?

Was the author thinking along those lines, and is there a connection between the painting and Black Velvet? Is Black Velvet the authors preferred whisky?

What if I have insight that the author might prefer a bourbon, Maker's Mark? Is Maker's Mark significant?

Perhaps the cat is a tomcat and likes to mark his territory. Is the entire ode about territories and/or boundaries?

I hated Mrs. Whirry's class.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Old Mrs. Whirry (Worry?)

I talk about this with the kids I work with a lot. Interpretation can be a tricky thing. Obviously, author intent is important, but it's not a science. Sometimes people read one of my novels or a short piece and say, "Oh, I loved the subtle inside references to XXXX" - sometimes I think - very perceptive - often I smile and nod. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts