Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I hear about progressive front shocks, sound good. Now what's the ticket for the rear suspension? I'f I'm going to keep treating this bike like a dirt bike I really need to start setting it up as one :)

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Eagle Mike makes a raising link for the KILLER. Give him a call and he will fix you up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do the RL-2 links give you a 2" lift?

What about using the raising links with an aftermarket rear shock, is it possible to gain 3-4" that way?

·
Registered
76 Posts
HighDezert said:

What about using the raising links with an aftermarket rear shock, is it possible to gain 3-4" that way?
Mike may chime in here, but until he does...I'll tell ya the best way to get hooked up is to PM EagleMike and get his recommendation.

I'm running the RL-2, so I don't mind poking my .02 in. The links are the "dog bone" that connects the shock linkage to the swing arm. When set next to a standard part it doesn't look all the different, just a fraction of an inch longer, but the effect is that the rear shock can be set to 1 or 2 preload instead of 4 or 5, and the wallowing in the corners is cleaned up. I haven't measured any actual increase in bike height, it's not that much.

The RL-1 were the first design and actually raise the bike a bit more than the RL-2. The -2 was designed for a slightly lighter weight rider, I'm 6-3", 205 or so and they are working well for me. TOBJ has original set, now called the RL-1 and enjoys them, we're about the same size.

I highly recommend them so you can get your suspension adjustment back.

Someone was running an aftermarket shock with these, but you'll need to talk to Mike about that for sure.

TW

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you want to raise your bike that much, I'd suggest you contact Klaus at Wilbers USA and get a custom shock made. He can hook you up - custom valving, custom spring for your weight and riding style, and the custom length was no extra charge last time I spoke with him. I need to call him today, and I'll ask him what he thinks.

The raising links are designed to make the otherwise stock KLR suspension work for a rider larger than 160 lbs or so that kawasaki seems to have made the stock suspension fit. They are a little shorter than the stock links. As TW noted above there's 2 sizes available. The suspension damping is stiffer, as well as the spring rate. They're easier to install than a replacement spring.

all the best,

Mike

·
Registered
650 Posts
Oh yea.... me likey ! :D

It does not give you anymore travel. It just makes it possable to use all the travel the shock has to give. and keep it in the extended position.

I hope we can keep from arguing this .....again.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.
I guess this is a good spot to put in my $.02. I'm 6'4" and 280. To give you an idea of what I'm riding it is mostly single track, good ruts, lots of mud. I've been playing with some jumps and yeah, even with the rear down first I'm bottoming out. HC said that replacing the rear would make it stiffer, but I think that is what I need at my size. It's coming up on winter, good time to really strip the bike and do these mods.
1. replace sub frame bolts and weld up the pegs
2. forks
3. rear suspension

I'm a KLR owner so you know I'm cheap :wink: , but what are some of the prices on the parts?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I missread the post earlier, the progressive springs don't really raise the front end either.

Seems suspension tuning will get you mostly where you want to be, a custom revalved rear shock would definitely be advantageous, but expensive.

I'm thinking you may be quickly moving into the territory where a dedicated Enduro bike would be easier to get the performance you desire and lighter, faster, better for truly off-road riding.

A bunch of the new KTMs are supposed to be DOT legal, "not for commuting, but barely street legal dirt bikes" so says an article in one of the cyclemags I just got.

TW

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tumbleweed said:
I missread the post earlier, the progressive springs don't really raise the front end either.

Seems suspension tuning will get you mostly where you want to be, a custom revalved rear shock would definitely be advantageous, but expensive.

I'm thinking you may be quickly moving into the territory where a dedicated Enduro bike would be easier to get the performance you desire and lighter, faster, better for truly off-road riding.

A bunch of the new KTMs are supposed to be DOT legal, "not for commuting, but barely street legal dirt bikes" so says an article in one of the cyclemags I just got.

TW
I have been looking at this option. But with $$$ tight I was hopeing that there migh be a relativly painless way to do this. I've already got the front shocks with 9-12 psi, that helped a lot! I've heard that a new rear spring might be the answer?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, if the Air in the front shock helped, then doing some more suspension work up there to replace the air with a better spring rate and increasing the rear spring may be a very viable option for you.

Just regurgitating some info from the old board. The Progressive Rear Spring will go on the stock shock. It is shorter than the stock and doesn't fit perfectly, but does work. One issue that kept coming up was that the Progressive was 9" long where the stock is 10". This is okay because the stock spring works on 1 inch of preload, where the progressive does not and gives the same travel. Or so the posts said. If the Eagle links did not do the trick for me, I was going to get the shock.

The RL-1 would be my first suggestion to try, they are less than the spring and are very easy to install and try. And I'm pretty sure Mike will let you try them out.

I didn't mean to imply you should give up on the KLR, it's just very easy to start chasing performance and never quite get where you want to be. This bike is great when used at a level relative to it's overall ability and does respond to some hot rodding, so have fun and keep us posted eh?

TW

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm always looking for that ultimate bike even though the KLR has been a great bike so far. The question becomes 1. Am I really ready to upgrade. 2. Is the type of riding I'm doing now what I will be doing down the road 3. If the KLR can be modified to handle the harder riding why change?

Tumbleweed said:
I didn't mean to imply you should give up on the KLR, it's just very easy to start chasing performance and never quite get where you want to be. This bike is great when used at a level relative to it's overall ability and does respond to some hot rodding, so have fun and keep us posted eh?TW
You bet. Working on bikes is all new to me. I'm a half decent back yard mechanic on cars but some of the variables make it more interesting on a bike. Again thaks to everyone who has responded. I'll be looking for the "best" answer to this and will try to report again when I figure out what I'll do. :wink:

·
Registered
57 Posts
The thing is, the KLR is cool in it's utility. I don't see a KTM dressed in mad max appearel working, and i like the bulk of the KLR when tossing it around. I could ask for more power for high altitude riding but i won't chase it to the end of the earth.

The front progressives with 5wt keeps me happy, and the only thing left is the rear. I'm going to do something with it (hopefully before i bottom and break it :roll: ) and if i'm going to rework it, i want it beastly tall, monster truck style, with lots of travel, and i wouldn't mind being 4"+ taller with sag, my fat beefy self uses up a bit of travel, and i ride actively, tossing the bike a lot with body english.

Do the links work well with the progressive spring? I'm thinking of trying the combo through winter and springing for a custom spring this spring, valved right, and lengthened.

Thanks for all the info guys!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Tumbleweed said:
HighDezert said:

Mike may chime in here, but until he does...I'll tell ya the best way to get hooked up is to PM EagleMike and get his recommendation.

I'm running the RL-2, so I don't mind poking my .02 in. The links are the "dog bone" that connects the shock linkage to the swing arm. When set next to a standard part it doesn't look all the different, just a fraction of an inch longer, but the effect is that the rear shock can be set to 1 or 2 preload instead of 4 or 5, and the wallowing in the corners is cleaned up. I haven't measured any actual increase in bike height, it's not that much.

The RL-1 were the first design and actually raise the bike a bit more than the RL-2. The -2 was designed for a slightly lighter weight rider, I'm 6-3", 205 or so and they are working well for me. TOBJ has original set, now called the RL-1 and enjoys them, we're about the same size.

Someone was running an aftermarket shock with these, but you'll need to talk to Mike about that for sure.

TW
TW there is a way to show how much the Eagle links lift the KLR650. With the stock links I can lift teh bike onto the centerstand and have rear tire clearance. With the RL-2 links the rear tire barely sits on teh ground. With the RL-1 links I could not get the KLR on the centerstand because the rear tire would hit the ground. So yes it does lower the rear wheel or raise the frame. Depends on your perspective. :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tomatocity said:
Tumbleweed said:
HighDezert said:

TW
TW there is a way to show how much the Eagle links lift the KLR650. With the stock links I can lift teh bike onto the centerstand and have rear tire clearance. With the RL-2 links the rear tire barely sits on teh ground. With the RL-1 links I could not get the KLR on the centerstand because the rear tire would hit the ground. So yes it does lower the rear wheel or raise the frame. Depends on your perspective. :)
Does Eagle Mike have a web site for his stuff? I tried a google search and came up with everything but. :?:

·
Registered
103 Posts
You need the progressive springs in the fron with appropriate oil and spacers for sure. If you really want to raise the bike, you'll need custom forks. I've made fork extensions and will make more but there is a limit. The klr650 with work well up to a point, but a pure dirt bike with lots of travel it's really not..... With the raising links, and the springs and oil up front, you can get it set up pretty well (esp for us - ahem - "standard sized klr650 riders"). More than that will require at least $400 to $800 for a new rear shock. The figure a lot more $$ for a custom front end..... :) The raising links and springs, oil, etc are best bang for the $$ out there (IMO) and can be easily installed over a couple cups of coffee and a donut or two.

all the best,

Mike

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
eaglemike1 said:
You need the progressive springs in the fron with appropriate oil and spacers for sure. If you really want to raise the bike, you'll need custom forks. I've made fork extensions and will make more but there is a limit. The klr650 with work well up to a point, but a pure dirt bike with lots of travel it's really not..... With the raising links, and the springs and oil up front, you can get it set up pretty well (esp for us - ahem - "standard sized klr650 riders"). More than that will require at least $400 to $800 for a new rear shock. The figure a lot more $$ for a custom front end..... :) The raising links and springs, oil, etc are best bang for the $$ out there (IMO) and can be easily installed over a couple cups of coffee and a donut or two.

all the best,

Mike
Thanks. I like the "ahem" :lol:
I checked out the site but didn't see raising links. Are they from a seperate vendor? I also had a related question about fork stiffeners. I see a lot of them that just barely clear the tire. HC and Sparky had a set made for their KLRs that have about three inches of clearance. Got anything like that?
Thanks and God Bless,

Luke

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Buildit said:
tomatocity said:
Tumbleweed said:
HighDezert said:

TW
Does Eagle Mike have a web site for his stuff? I tried a google search and came up with everything but. :?:
Mike has a website but not for his stuff. You can call him at...information removed by author.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts