Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see those wheels for moto street KLRs.

Not interested in that mod, I like off roading and dual ridding. But I was thinking about a wider wheel for the back, so I can use a wider tire.

Yes, I understand and know what some will say, stock size has been made for some reason and so forth....but also off roading in rough terrain, mud, sand, is helped by using a somewhat wider tire.

I do not think mileage would suffer much, I care for comfort, protection and flotation For a 150 rear tire, a 4 or 4.25 wheel would work. An aluminum wheel would not add much weight, but would add traction.

Any opinions and thoughts welcome

·
Registered
96 Posts
Put a 140 on the stock wheel, a 13 or 14 front sprocket and have fun, an aggressive tread tire that size will give all the traction a klr 650 can handle!

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I recently rolled a used/dismounted Heidenaue 150 into the swingarm of a 1st Gen KLR. I don't think one could make it FIT! At least I wouldn't want to use a die-grinder on That Much of the forward brace webs.
I'm pretty certain the swingarm was braced that much for good reason!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you guys. A 150 tire with current swing arm would be lose to iimpossible. A 140 on stock wheel....might fit but would be better to give the 140 more room. What is the stock width pf the KLR rear wheel ? I think a 140 on a 4 inch wheel would be great ! The supermoto guys use 4.25 or even 4.50 in rear with street tire that is smaller than a off road tire. At least we know 4-4.5 wheels fit swing arm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts