Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I bought an Idle Screw from Eagle Mike but when it arrived in a small tube, the parts were disassembled. Would someone please verify the install order?

Any other tips and/or suggestions? I've seen some videos where people make a vertical mark with a sharpie (or paint); is this to mark the fully closed position?

Thanks!

Matt

Wood Household hardware Door Nail Tool

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts
Are you 100% certain that the old washer & o-ring are extracted from the tower. If not then new assembly will not turn-in to fully closed position (coil-bound spring). I've built a tiny little 'fish-hook' out of a piece of mechanics wire to reach inside the towers.

O-Ring - washer - spring - needle.
I would has said that in reverse. starting with the needle. I put a little oil on the shank of the needle & its threads. Then install the spring on the needle, then the washer, then the o-ring. Install the Assembly into the tower.

· Registered
726 Posts
Are you 100% certain that the old washer & o-ring are extracted from the tower. If not then new assembly will not turn-in to fully closed position (coil-bound spring). I've built a tiny little 'fish-hook' out of a piece of mechanics wire to reach inside the towers.

I would has said that in reverse. starting with the needle. I put a little oil on the shank of the needle & its threads. Then install the spring on the needle, then the washer, then the o-ring. Install the Assembly into the tower.
Indeed, make absolutely sure the original o-ring has been removed before installing the new one.

Jason

· Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,878 Posts

Let me add, hold the needle pointing UP and the carb UP, when you insert it in the bottom of the hole. No point fighting gravity.

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts
Let me add, hold the needle pointing UP and the carb UP, when you insert it in the bottom of the hole. No point fighting gravity.
I'll suggest that even with most used tiny o-rings the mixture screw assembly can be inserted with carb held side-ways so I can see what I'm doing. :)

With an un-glued new float bowl seal ring, then its vertical from the bottom Up. ;)

· Registered
441 Posts
The OEM idle screw is recessed and from the factory set very lean and then a plug is put in the idle screw hole so we wont tamper with it.
The plug is easy to remove with the carb tilted or removed but the idle mixture screw is very difficult to adjust. The longer screw solves that problem.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,413 Posts
The plug is easy to remove with the carb tilted or removed but the idle mixture screw is very difficult to adjust. The longer screw solves that problem.
The idle screw really only needs to be re-adjusted once from the factory setting.
It’s kind of a “one and done” adjustment.

1.75-2 turns is a good recommendation, and should get rid of that lean surge that some encounter.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,413 Posts
Just to clarify, the top picture is a MIXTURE screw, All statements are referring to a MIXTURE screw, not an idle screw.
Correction: idle air mixture screw…just to be clear 😂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts