Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what follows is trivial BS but I need to vent.

Today started off normal... went for a run, got ready for work, put on my riding gear...after that, it was all down hill. Took the KLR into work and hit reserve about half way there. Good news story here because my petcock worked after replacing the non-OEM O-ring from the rebuild kit (all balls...beware...the packaged O-ring was too thick and made it so you needed pliers to turn the petcock). Anyway, as I continue down the highway I hear metal clanging and look down to see the heat shield from my header has fallen off. On further inspection, the front screw must have vibrated loose and the back screw sheared when the front came out and the heat shield caught the wind at 70 mph. Could be worse, stay positive. I get to the gate at the base and can’t find my ID. Not good. I know it was in my pocket so it must have fallen out while riding. Called work after getting gas to tell them I’m an idiot and I’m going home to see if it fell out of my pocket in the garage. Hope is a plan.

I drive the 30 miles home but no joy. The ID isn’t there. I decide to take my Concours in and leave the KLR parked until I can give her a once over to make sure nothing else was coming loose. I get to the end of my subdivision and my TPMS activates. Rear tire 9 PSI. FML! I gingerly ride the mile or so back to the house and, sure enough, there is a roofing nail sticking out of my nearly new Road 5 GT.

The tire is now plugged and holding air. I’ll see if pressure is still good in the morning. Probably going to wrap the exhaust in lieu of replacing the heat shield and I was able to get a new ID. All’s well that ends well I guess. Can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings!

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
I'm glad that you eventually made it to work, safely. :)

Some days just suck, from the get-go!

·
Registered
7 Posts
That sucks, my first ride this year wasn't even on my bike as I have to replace the rear sprocket. It wasn't in at the time and then camping was finally allowed on Crown land (in Canada) on June 3rd. I was riding my son's KLX110 as it's a fun little bike. Anyways, top of 3rd gear and hit a bump in the dirt and when the suspension compressed under my fat ass, the left peg hit a teeny, tiny stump and the bike instantly hit about 1 mph and I kept going about 20mph over the handlebars. I landed and saw nothing but stars and excruciating pain in my right shoulder. Instantly knew something was broken(collarbone). My buddy went back to camp and grabbed his van to pick me up and head to the hospital. Haven't ridden a bike since June 3rd and doesn't look like I'll be able to ride soon either. Btw, those little KLXs are like little kids, resilient as hell and that thing is still good to go. Other than a scuff mark or 2, nothing happened to it. I'm hoping it's good to go by hunting season.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
IT or YOU, by hunting season?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Heal fast! good luck. I went over the handle bars when I was 18. thankfully there was the trunk of a chevrolet in front of me that I could barrel roll off of. I think I may have landed on my feet, wondering why the traffic had stopped.

line6

·
Registered
91 Posts
"Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug."

·
Registered
132 Posts
I feel your pain; some days you're just better off staying in bed. On the plus side, I'm glad you found out about the low air pressure pretty quickly and close to home and those "mushroom style" tire plugs can be good for the life of the tire. I caught a nail in a new Metzeler Tourance tire and was pretty pleased with the durability of that repair. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts